Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot Failure after HD Replacement

• Please log in to reply

Diedre

Diedre

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I recently replaced my old failing hard drive with a new seagate baraccuda 1tb drive. I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre A58e 0841AEU. I used Macrium Reflect free to image the pc, using dvds which gave me an error they were corrupted. I then tried to clone the old hd info to the new one but the new hd won't boot into windows. When I turn on the pc, I get an error saying Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt. It lists File: \Windows\system32\config\system Status: 0x000014c.I have a Macrium Reflect Boot cd but it can't repair the boot issue. I didn't buy the pc new. The recovery cds I bought from Lenovo are for factory installed win7 pro and what was installed on the pc when I bought it was win7 ultimate. I didn't get cds or activation codes for the software with the pc when I bought it and really don't want to loose the Microsoft Office programs I have on the old hd. I don't have the win7 system recovery disk that I made previously and I might be wrong, but I don't remember it ever having the startup repair option listed on it. Help!

Advertisements

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Any Win 7 disc should work. The only difference in what version you see is what License key you enter. So I have two thoughts to this, both of which I will share with you. 1.) Googling the error code comes back with a lot of FIXMBR responses. Maybe it is just the Master Boot Record that needs to be fixed, which can be done from the recovery console on a win 7 disc. Try these directions http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392 2.) I suppose the potential exists for a bad clone to have happened. I would try the FixMBR before I would consider wiping the new drive and cloning it again. It just sounds like the computer doesn't understand that its original drive has been replaced.

Diedre

Diedre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I did not receive a Win 7 disc or a MS Office disc when I bought the pc. I didn't buy it new. I ordered a Lenovo recovery disc with Win 7 on it but it doesn't have repair options like the MS Win 7 version does. I did go to the website you listed and tried the recommendations there but I still can't boot the new hard drive. I also made a win 7 system repair disc and it does have a startup repair option but I was not able to get the new hard drive to boot.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
To my mind Diedre you bought the wrong disks from Lenovo, you bought 7 Pro when your machine had 7 Ultimate and anyway these are only recovery disks and not full operating system installation disks.

I reckon what you need is a copy of either Windows 7 Ultimate Retail or unbranded OEM (system builder).

Diedre

Diedre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I finally got my new hard drive cloned and working. I had both drives connected and I then booted from the win 7 system repair disc. It did a start up repair of the old drive. I was trying to repair the new one which wasn't working. The old drive booted fine. I wasn't sure if trying to clone again with Macrium Reflect would work, but since I had a Seagate hard drive I decided to try Acronis Disc Wizard and it worked.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
That sound good mate, glad your issue is resolved. :thumbsup: