Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crashes

• Please log in to reply

Sking0

Sking0

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Windows 7 Premium SP1 x64. AMD Phenom quad core 2.6Ghz processor. 4 gig RAM. Motherboard is ASRock K10N7hSLI-GLAN. AMD Radeon R6870 Video card.

Hi. I very recently installed Windows 7 on my pc which was running XP. In all the years i had XP i never had one BSoD.
Since i installed Windows 7 (2 days ago) i have had 4 BSoD. They are all the same event id's.

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.micro.../events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-01-13T03:19:02.531250000Z" />
<EventRecordID>3669</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Simon-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">194</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x7</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x1097</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x5020404</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0xfffff8a008dda1c0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

These crashes all happened in the last 24 hours. I ran upgrade advisor before changing to Win7 and the only issue it came up with was an nVidia network controller
thing. I posted about that in here and was told it wouldn't be a problem. (I am not doubting that persons credibility i just thought i should give as much info as possible.)
I had a lot of trouble getting the sound to work after the installation because i kept getting realtek downloads that were no good (from Realtek site) I got a working one in the end from somewhere else and got that problem sorted.
I am just worried that i have some bad drivers somewhere and i do not want to download and run a debugging tool until i have posted the problem in here first. Apart from that, the debugger process doesn't exactly look like plain sailing. :-(
Yesterday windows downloaded 106 updates. Some of them didn't correctly install. (Can't remember where i found the reports for those now) In the event viewer there are a lot of other errors.
I don't understand how the system is only a few days old and it is having so many problems.
I also have that Coprocessor problem where in device manager it has a yellow triangular sign on it and says there are no drivers installed and it won't update the drivers.
The error report i posted is the only 'critical' event that is why i have just put that particular report up.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Edit. I just looked at the other 3 critical errors and the bugcheck parameters are different (don't know if that is relevant).
Also 1 crash happened before the windows updates and the other 3 happened afterwards.

Edited by Sking0, 13 January 2013 - 09:55 AM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Look in C:\Windows\minidump. If there are dumps there, zip them and upload the zip file here.

You can also try running BlueScreenViewand/or WhoCrashed and see what they say about the cause of failure.

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Attached File  011213-29062-01.zip   23.35KB   146 downloads

Attached File  011313-32781-01.zip   23.29KB   142 downloads

Hope i did that right? ;-)

Without wishing to go off the thread i have noticed i have AMD Hi Definition Audio Device and Realtek Hi Definition Audio Device
both enabled in device manager. As i saw something the other day regarding having more than one sound device running, should i disable one of these?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Do you have an add-on PCI sound card in addition to the onboard sound chip? If so, disable the one you are not using.

The dumps didn't help. They both pointed to ntkrnlmp.exe which is a Windows file. The problem is caused by something else but the dumps don't show what.

Event Id 41 means the last shutdown was not clean, which makes sense as you had a BSOD.

The Bugcheck code (194 == X'000000C2') means BAD_POOL_CALLER which matches the dumps.

The MS web site suggests:
  • Download and install updates and device drivers for your computer from Windows Update.
  • Scan your computer for computer viruses.
  • Check your hard disk for errors.

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Hi. Thanks for the response. I just wanted to let you know that since the original post i have had no critical errors,
8 errors, very minor errors, and it all seems to be running sweetly. I managed to get drivers for the chipset, and have
been researching this and that and it all seems to have settled down.
385 errors (4 critical) in the first 36 hours and 8 errors (minor) since i began the topic. All good atm.
Must say i was so against getting Windows 7 as i was happy with XP but with direct x11 and some modern games unavailable for XP
i made the move. New learning curve (a bit) but glad i did it. Really happy with Win7 :thumbsup:
To be honest (even with the frustrating bits) i quite like the learning part ;)