Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows update 800800005, office 2010 wont install either

• Please log in to reply

PaulJRichardson

PaulJRichardson

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi NobbyBurton,

I have read this thread very carefully, including all posts by you and by RockMilk. I researched all programs and references in the results you posted, as well as some of the symptoms you including in your OP. I would concur with everything Rock has suggested, and might add here a suggestion that you may already be aware of. I would suggest that it is generally a very bad idea to install ANY toolbars into your browser, but some of these are often really bad program, and include malware. I found in your posts several toolbars that have a very large number poor ratings from the security community.

Next (and perhaps much worse), is the reference in your OP that you ran "advanced spyware" on this computer. I would like to point out that I've had two occasions in the past when a program that was attempting to convince me that it was good and helping me (for ex., that it was "anti-malware", designed to find and remove malware), was actually far worse than any other malware I had ever come across. In both of those cases, I spent many many hours, and even dozens of posts in some of the best forums attempting to repair those computers, and in the end, in BOTH cases, I just wound up formatting and reinstalling from scratch or backup.

I am very curious about the reference that RockMilk posted about some rule that he is not allowed to tell you certain things in this forum, which might help you (because those types of assistance should be posted in another forum topic/area). I am unaware of those rules, and thus I think I need to find the rules he is talking about and read up on them before I violate those rules myself (I am really new to this community). However, I will at least provide you this one (possibly VERY useful) link, which may shed light upon my second concern I've pointed out in this post, and end on the note that I can only concur with RockMilk and will have to find and read the rules before I get into this deeper.

Best Regards,
Paul

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

I am very curious about the reference that RockMilk posted about some rule that he is not allowed to tell you certain things in this forum, which might help you (because those types of assistance should be posted in another forum topic/area). I am unaware of those rules, and thus I think I need to find the rules he is talking about and read up on them before I violate those rules myself (I am really new to this community).

To set your mind at rest Paul the reasons are this...

Rockmilk is not qualified to offer Malware assistance and any aspects that emerge from a given thread that tend towards malware need to be dealt with in that particular forum.

If unqualified members were allowed to post then you'd have everyone and his brother offering advice that may prove costly.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Thanks Wolf....... :thumbsup:

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You're welcome my friend. :thumbsup:

PaulJRichardson

PaulJRichardson

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Wolfeymole!,

Got it. Thanks so much. I'm really doing my best now to learn as much as I can about all the rules and stuff, before I make any more giant blunders. I really appreciate your help ;-) I actually got a link (from a very nice person), who sent me to this thread, which seems to includes lots more info to help folks like me (including, info about what to do and how to respond when it looks like malware might be part of the problem). Meanwhile, if you have any additional advise for me moving forward, please don't hesitate to email me privately at Paul at PaulJRichardson.com because I'm good at science, and I am not good at all at regular social skills ;-) although I am a very nice person.

Best Regards,
Paul