Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow computer; mouse weird [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

BristolCity

BristolCity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
something called trustedinstaller has full control now in advanced security settings for redisc?

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

I tried to do what you said in post 42 but got access denied, post 36 it wont let me move it

Fair play, then for some reason you are unable to gain full control of the file(s) even if it appears you may have for example. Unfortunately this can be a common occurrence with Vista at times.

something called trustedinstaller has full control now in advanced security settings for redisc?

Then your account does not have full access for the file(s). OK we will merely try a different methodology as follows...

Vista FTC:

• Open Notepad.
  • Copy and Paste everything from the Quote Box(do not copy the word quote) below into Notepad:

@echo off
takeown /f "C:\Users\Chris\Desktop\recdisc.exe"
icacls "C:\Users\Chris\Desktop\recdisc.exe" /grant (Chris):f
takeown /f "C:\Windows\System32\recdisc.exe"
icacls "C:\Windows\System32\recdisc.exe" /grant (Chris):f
del %0

• Go to File >> Save As
  • Save File name as Dakeyras.bat
  • Change Save as Type to All Files and save the file to your Desktop.
  • It should look similiar to this: Posted Image
Now right-click on the desktop Dakeyras.bat and select Run as Administrator to run the batch file. It will self-delete when completed.

Next:

Now try moving the desktop recdisc file to the system32 folder as outlined here.

BristolCity

BristolCity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I did the file but when I did the moving it said access denied again

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

I did the file but when I did the moving it said access denied again

OK lets merely try another method then as follows...

Backup the Registry:

Modifying the Registry can create unforeseen problems, so it always wise to create a backup before doing so.

• Please go here and download ERUNT.
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
  • Right-click on erunt-setup.exe and select Run as Administrator to install ERUNT by following the prompts.
  • Use the default install settings but say no to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the Start-Up folder.
  • Start ERUNT either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup process.
  • Choose a location for the backup. Note: the default location is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT which is acceptable.
  • Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are selected.
  • Click on OK
  • Then click on YES to create the folder.
Note: If it is necessary to restore the registry, open the backup folder and start ERDNT.exe

Next:

Download the attached Add_Take_Ownership.reg to your desktop.

Now right-click on it and select Merge >> follow the prompts >> reboot your machine.

Next:

Right-click on the desktop file recdisc.exe >> select Take Ownership(if available)

Then right click on the system32 folder file recdisc.exe <-- C:\Windows\System32\recdisc.exe >> select Take Ownership(if available)

Next:

Now try moving the desktop recdisc file to the system32 folder as outlined here.

BristolCity

BristolCity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I rebooted and got m dozens of error messages about redent

I never got the option to merge and when I went to the file it says the newer one is already on?

I feel I am wasting your time by being so inept, is this really important?

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg
  • Untitled.jpg

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

I feel I am wasting your time by being so inept, is this really important?

No you are not wasting my time at all I assure you and aye it would be prudent if we can manage to create a Startup Repair Disc so we can perform some checks/repairs. Plus more so since you have that strange custom Operating System installation that blocks access to the inbuilt option/you do not have a actual Vista Installation DVD etc.

I rebooted and got m dozens of error messages about redent

OK you probably opted to add the autobackup feature to the Startup Menu during the new installation of Erunt. The reason the error is created is because Erunt requires administrative access to work correctly and running from the aforementioned location with every system boot this cannot be done with Vista.

To rectify this problem as follows...

Click on Start(Vista Orb) >> All Programs >> Startup >> right-click on ERUNT AutoBackup and select Delete >> follow the prompts >> empty the Recycle Bin.

I never got the option to merge

Do you mean with the Add_Take_Ownership.reg ? Strange as your version of Vista should have that option, if not merely double click on it and follow the prompts >> reboot your machine.

Or do you mean about moving the desktop recdisc.exe file to the system32 folder ?

when I went to the file it says the newer one is already on?

Hmm to me it looks like one from 2008 judging by the modification date, just perform the following check please:-

Right-click on C:\Windows\System32\recdisc.exe and select Run as Administrator, does this window below now appear ?

Posted Image

BristolCity

BristolCity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Or do you mean about moving the desktop recdisc.exe file to the system32 folder ? Yes that wouldnt merge

when I went to the file it says the newer one is already on?

Hmm to me it looks like one from 2008 judging by the modification date, just perform the following check please:-

Right-click on C:\Windows\System32\recdisc.exe and select Run as Administrator, does this window below now appear ?

No nothing happens at all

Posted Image

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

Yes that wouldnt merge

Acknowledged.

No nothing happens at all

OK, carry out the below for myself please and post the log created in your next reply and we will then go from there.

Custom OTL Script:

Please download OTL and save it to your Desktop.

• Right-click OTL.exe and select Run as Administrator to start the program.
  • Copy the lines from the quote box(do not copy the word quote) to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose Copy):

:Commands
[CreateRestorePoint]

:Files
[Override]
C:\Windows\System32\recdisc.exe|C:\Users\Chris\Desktop\recdisc.exe /replace
[StopOverride]

:Commands
[EmptyTemp]

• Return to OTL, right-click in the Custom Scans/Fixes window (under the cyan bar) and choose Paste.
  • Then click the red Run Fix button.
  • Let the program run unhindered.
  • If OTL asks to reboot your computer, allow it to do so. The report should appear in Notepad after the reboot.
  • Note: The logfile can also be located C: >> _OTL >> MovedFiles >> DD/DD/DD TT/TT.txt <-- denotes date/time log created.

BristolCity

BristolCity

• Topic Starter
    • PipPip
    • 59 posts
    Hi
    Am really sorry my internet connection has gone down mate abd they said could be couple of days
    Am sending this on my phone. Can you keep the thread open till I'm back up and running please?

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
    • 9,772 posts
    Not a problem and thank you for the courtesy of informing myself. :)

Advertisements

BristolCity

BristolCity

• Topic Starter
    • PipPip
    • 59 posts
    okay buddy I am back on but not sure how long for, if I am not on its cos of the net

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
    • 9,772 posts
    Acknowledged. :)

BristolCity

BristolCity

• Topic Starter
    • PipPip
    • 59 posts
    All processes killed
    ========== COMMANDS ==========
    Restore point Set: OTL Restore Point
    ========== FILES ==========
    Unable to replace file: C:\Windows\System32\recdisc.exe with C:\Users\Chris\Desktop\recdisc.exe without a reboot.
    ========== COMMANDS ==========

[EMPTYTEMP]

User: All Users

User: Chris
    ->Temp folder emptied: 4158354 bytes
    ->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 30837820 bytes
    ->Java cache emptied: 0 bytes
    ->FireFox cache emptied: 24831777 bytes
    ->Google Chrome cache emptied: 0 bytes
    ->Flash cache emptied: 2425 bytes

User: Default
    ->Temp folder emptied: 0 bytes
    ->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 0 bytes
    ->Flash cache emptied: 0 bytes

User: Default User
    ->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 0 bytes
    ->Flash cache emptied: 0 bytes

User: Public

%systemdrive% .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
    %systemroot% .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
    %systemroot%\System32 .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
    %systemroot%\System32\drivers .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
    Windows Temp folder emptied: 4748166 bytes
    RecycleBin emptied: 2199407657 bytes

Total Files Cleaned = 2,159.00 mb

OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.69.0 log created on 01242013_205300

Files\Folders moved on Reboot...
    C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\HZO7Y5QQ\1clickStart[1].htm moved successfully.
    C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\HZO7Y5QQ\default[1].htm moved successfully.
    C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\HZO7Y5QQ\type[3].htm moved successfully.
    C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\AntiPhishing\ED8654D5-B9F0-4DD9-B3E8-F8F560086FDF.dat moved successfully.
    C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\MSIMGSIZ.DAT moved successfully.
    C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\SuggestedSites.dat moved successfully.
    File move failed. C:\Windows\temp\_avast_\Webshlock.txt scheduled to be moved on reboot.

PendingFileRenameOperations files...
    [2008/01/21 02:23:28 | 000,193,024 | ---- | M] (Microsoft Corporation) C:\Windows\System32\recdisc.exe : MD5=DEEB29B25CF67B9C27AA52AFBDFFEFFB

Registry entries deleted on Reboot...

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
    • 9,772 posts
    Right-click on C:\Windows\System32\recdisc.exe and select Run as Administrator, does this window below now appear or not ?

Posted Image

BristolCity

BristolCity

• Topic Starter
    • PipPip
    • 59 posts
    sorry to say nothing happens