Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless connections

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i haven't done much work with wireless so i dont know a whole lot about its configuration so i have a few questions:

1. if all i want is to give wireless access (obviously with restrictions) to my wired network do i need a router or just an access point?

2. what is the easiest way to configure this connection?

3. what is a good piece of hardware to get for this connection?

Advertisements

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
heya, dsenette

1) All you "need" is an access point and a wireless NIC of some kind, but if you don't yet have a router, your money would be better spent just getting the wireless router. If you already have a wired router, I'd price check the difference between a wireless access point and a new(er) wireless router. Chances are good that the wireless router makes the best financial sense and has a similiar outcome: wireless connectivity on a home network.

2) All wireless routers/access points come with pretty detailed instructions on how to set them up. There isn't much more to it than following those... though I do feel that setting up the access point would be somewhat more simple than setting up the router.

3) I can't recommend brands or anything (because I don't have a favorite). D-Link makes good stuff, so does Linksys and Microsoft (though they're pricey). If you're looking at a wireless router or access point, make sure it's 802.11G. As for a specific brand: I'll just recommend the one with the best rebate right now.

Good luck. It really isn't very hard to set up, even for non-geeks.