Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing new CPU Fan/Heatsink, how to properly mount?

• Please log in to reply

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
So I just bought a new CPU and an aftermarket cooler. I have an AMD board, with an AM3 socket. I bought the Artic Cooler 13 (http://www.arctic.ac...-13.html?c=2181) and the fan will only sit on the motherboard either pointing up (Toward the GPU and PSU) or pointing down at nothing. I know a heatsink sucks in air, but I want to be sure, in which direction should I place the cooler? Which would be best? I included an image of my system for better analysis:

Spoiler

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Xanster82

Neither way is good, facing up the fan will suck hot air from the GPU, PSU. Facing down, will blow hot air from the CPU into the GPU, PSU.

Is the hight of the RAM preventing installation with the fan facing the front of the case?

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
No, the mounting bracket goes on one way, and I have to use clips that go on the top and bottom of the bracket, so the fan goes either up or down. There is no other way.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Well I have the new CPU in there and the cooler. So far things seem to be ok. CPU is running at 28 C right now. Not doing anything but running Firefox and Malwarebytes. Though when I was refreshing my Windows System rating, it jumped to 35 C. Then back down to 29 C afterward. Mobo is about 28 and hard drive at 31.

The CPU I just put in is AMD Phenom II X6 1045T. When my Windows rating was being refreshed, I noticed my CPU jumped to 70% usage under the Performance in the task manager. And computer was a little bit slower. Why did it jump so high? Seemed a bit unusual.

EDIT:

After playing a game for a bit, I noticed the temps have risen (as expected). But are these temps normal/ok? 45 for CPU, 42 for mobo, and 38 for hard drive. I kept the panel off my case while testing, and noticed my CPU Heatsink is hot to the touch. Not warm or cool. Is that normal? Just want to make sure this is all normal or something I should be worried about.

Edited by Xanster82, 14 January 2013 - 08:09 PM.

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
1.) I would be concerned with those temps. While not ridiculous, They are high, and the heatsink should never be that hot to the touch. 2.) According to the install directions for your cooler, you have it installed incorrectly. You were not supposed to remove the Stock AMD bracket attached to the Motherboard, in order to put the CPU cooler on there. http://www.arctic.ac...3/manual_en.pdf Following the manual, you should have easily been able to face it so that the air coming off the CPU cooler hit the fan at the rear of the case, and easily exited from there, keeping your system much cooler. Also, did you use a fair amount of thermal paste when you installed the new CPU cooler?

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
1) Well I searched around, and seen as long as it does not reach 70c, it should be ok. Others have said their CPU runs at 40c or so when gaming.

2) I do have it installed correctly. I only removed the bracket so I can clean the dust off it thoroughly. I put it back on, it's necessary for installing the cooler. Otherwise it wouldn't be in there right now.. lol. The bracket only goes on one way, and the metal clips (or lugs) the cooler came with can only go on the top and bottom of the bracket, not the sides. So I am only able to put the cooler either facing the top or the bottom of the case. Believe me I would rather it facing either the front or rear.

Also, it came pre-applied with thermal paste. I'm thinking the higher temps can be because when I was installing, the cooler came off and I had to readjust, so some of the thermal got a little messed up. I can always order Artic Silver and re-apply if temps get higher.

Edited by Xanster82, 14 January 2013 - 08:41 PM.

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Is there a vent at the top of your case? If not, I would consider either cutting one in, or looking for a new case. What a piss poor design for a CPU cooler.

Edited by fyrfyter33, 14 January 2013 - 09:56 PM.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
No, I'd have to buy a new case. If I had a Intel board, I'd be able to place the cooler in any direction I wanted. But I am limited with the AMD, clearly. So far things seem to be okay, but should I run into problems, I'll look into a new case or a different alternative.

If possible I'd like to get others input on this as well?

This guy as the same cooler on an AMD board, and if you notice at the 0:45 mark, you see he has his installed facing down.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
If you fluffed the first installation of the heatsin, you should do it again, your temps should be lower with that cooler.

Did you remove every trace of the old tharmal paste from the CPU? I reccommend you buy this kit, http://www.newegg.co...2^14-130-812-TS and a non conductive paste like this http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835186038

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
I think you need to buy a better heatsink. That thing has the worst design. The fact that it cannot blow out the back of your case is a nightmare! Can you get a different one that will? It is either that or a new case.

Advertisements

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
iammykyl, it was a new CPU. It was clean. There was preapplied pasted on the heatsink. Thanks for the link, I already purchased Artic Silver so I can reapply.

fyrfyter33, I agree, I am already trying to find a better cooler. But not sure what to buy, I want to make sure I can position the cooler facing the back. Can you possibly link a cooler, similar to the one I have now, that doesn't have a cruddy design for AMD boards? I'd appreciate that.

Thanks for the input.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

iammykyl, it was a new CPU. It was clean. There was preapplied pasted on the heatsink.

Sorry, missed that. I was looking at your first Pic, it looked to me to have a residue of old TIM still present.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Yes. That was my old CPU before I removed it from the motherboard. I'm currently looking for a new cooler right now, one that can be positioned facing the rear of the case.

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
I would suggest one of these, if you have the space. http://www.coolermas...e=Hyper 212 EVO Newegg has them for $35, and they do a great job, even if you need to move the fan up a bit to clear your RAM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
As an alternative, the slightly older Hyper is still the most popular cooler on Newegg, worth reading feedback for both coolers before deciding. > http://www.newegg.co...9^35-103-099-TS They are both the same hight for RAM clearance but slightly different W, L.
> http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835103099