Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need quick advice on pc specs for media-heavy usage

• Please log in to reply

japanesedream72

japanesedream72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Please list the actual software you will be using, ie, Adobe, Sony Vegas, Arcsoft etc.

So far, all I use is Arcsoft Photostudio. I want to learn Photoshop & the other Adobe programs used for graphics/design. I don't know much about video as yet, mostly want to do things like playing/burning music files/CD's & video/DVD's, & things with ripping/cutting/merging for clips & such. At least to start. Plus the usual 'net/e-mail & word processing stuff.

Someone online has this for $1,100 (a bit over my range but comes with just about everything):
"I have a FULLY LOADED Graphic Design/Gaming Computer available called the HP BlackBird 002 Desktop with an Intel QuadCore 2 Xtreme X9650 (3.33GHz) 6GB DDR2, 320GB OS HDD and a 1TB HDD, Dual Layer Slot Loading DVD Burner, Built in SD/Flash Card Readers, Gigabit Ethernet Port, Windows 8 Pro 64-bit Gaming Computer! Call me or text me at [number]. This computer is a monster!!!!! I can load it with any games, movies, music and whatever programs you want (inquire about this when you call).
This is fully loaded with:
Adobe Master Collection CS6 which includes: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat Pro, Premier, and the rest of the Adobe Suite.
Corel Draw X6
Microsoft Office 2010 which includes Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, and the rest of the Suite.

And i can pre-load it with any other programs you may want."

Any good? Or too good to be true?

Edited by japanesedream72, 28 January 2013 - 06:47 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Any good? Or too good to be true?

Blackbird released 2007, Intel Socket 775, could be customized, (they had an amazing case), start price about $2,700. Adobe Master Collection CS6 (cheap $2,285 on Amazon) . http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-65167117-CS6-Master-Collection/dp/B007R0RJRS Software is a bit suspect. I would want to see the product before parting with my money.

You can't get everything you want for your budget, we could configure a top end core build (operational) that you add parts as you can afford them.

japanesedream72

japanesedream72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sorry, folks. Between expensive car repairs & unforseen family issues, I haven't been able to get back to this for a bit. Recent events have made it even more important that I keep costs down as much as possible, tho' I do want something that will last a few years, at least, & be able to do what I need it to. I don't know if there's anything on the market that will fit that, & I have no clue whatsoever how to build my own system, & frankly wouldn't trust myself in doing so (as in, actual assembly), so I'd need to pay someone to do it. I'm in the northeastern US, by the way.

Also wondering if this is at all a trustworthy, viable option:
http://app-plaza.com...ter-collection/

I do appreciate the input.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Good to hear from you. The best laid plans of mice and men!!!
It would still be better to configure your own system and find a local computer store that would build and commission it for you.

Your link returns the result, "You tried to visit app-plaza.com, which is not loading"

japanesedream72

japanesedream72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Good to hear from you. The best laid plans of mice and men!!!
It would still be better to configure your own system and find a local computer store that would build and commission it for you.

Your link returns the result, "You tried to visit app-plaza.com, which is not loading"

Thank you! :) Yes, indeed, the best-laid plans...

Thanks for the advice. I'll try looking into that.

Sorry about the link, it's for Smart Shop, a software discounter. Here is a small part of their FAQ:

Who is SoftBuy?

We are an online reseller of OEM software products made by manufacturers such as Microsoft, Adobe, Autodesk and many others...

Is ordering online from SoftBuy safe?

Yes. Our checkout pages are 128-bit SSL encrypted, the industry standard for secure online ordering. Always make sure to look for the url bar and the lock or key icon on your browser when you are checking out (location and format differ depending on what browser you are using). This indicates you are viewing a secure, encrypted page.

What is the difference between OEM and Retail Box packaging?

Retail version of software is a full version of the software which will include the installation disc(s), Certificate of Authenticity (if manufacturer provides), and product keycode/serial number (if necessary). OEM software does not come in a retail box, doesn't include printed manuals, and is not eligible for free technical support from the manufacturer. Help files you can always find in members area. OEM software is only available in "full version" editions, meaning there are no OEM upgrade products. OEM software can be upgraded to future versions of the software by purchasing a compatible upgrade product.

How are you able to sell your software at such low prices?

We are not under contract with or "authorized" to sell on behalf of any particular software manufacturer. As a result, we are able to sell our products significantly below the MSRP. We purchase at lower prices from reputable sources in the wholesale market and pass those savings on to you!

They have Adobe Creative Suite 6 Master Collection (32-bit) available to download for, like, $300!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the update.

Please remember that you need an OS supporting 64bit otherwise you will only be able to use less than 4GB of RAM.

When you know what the situation is, get back to us or post any more questions you might have.

japanesedream72

japanesedream72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Thanks for the update.

Please remember that you need an OS supporting 64bit otherwise you will only be able to use less than 4GB of RAM.

When you know what the situation is, get back to us or post any more questions you might have.

Good to know, thank you!

Thanks, I will definitely do that. :)

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
I wouldn't knock yourself out completely of building a computer. I would guess that the majority on here had to decide to take the plunge at one point in time or another and build their first system. If you are concerned about it, we are always here to help, and this thread http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/ is a great place to start. If you do consider building yourself, you will get more bang for the buck with your money and building your own system. There are no switches on the motherboards to set anymore, just put the system together. Let us know when you are ready to move forward.

japanesedream72

japanesedream72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I wouldn't knock yourself out completely of building a computer. I would guess that the majority on here had to decide to take the plunge at one point in time or another and build their first system. If you are concerned about it, we are always here to help, and this thread http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/ is a great place to start. If you do consider building yourself, you will get more bang for the buck with your money and building your own system. There are no switches on the motherboards to set anymore, just put the system together. Let us know when you are ready to move forward.

Thanks much!! I'll do my research, & let you know.

japanesedream72

japanesedream72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Just wanted to insert a little post-script here. A professional colleague put me on to someone they know who has a computer business, who is now helping me put together a system. Just wanted to thank everyone here for their advice; the input was really helpful in enabling me to convey the kinds of things I want & need. :)

Advertisements