Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

?NEW BSOD

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm confused now because the original topic subject was the message you got from Chrome. Are you saying now there is another issue besides this? If you are saying there is a system crash issue then we need to look at other possibilities now.

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions and program

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.
Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

Advertisements

Kidbrooke9

Kidbrooke9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Sorry guys - I am getting out of my depth now. I have tried both the programs you suggest and both report no crashes - and crash dump reporting is enabled. Eskom - our National power supplier here is very erratic and brownouts/blackouts are common. It is probably connected with that. I have a UPS but it is faulty and needs replacement. I am sure I can get along OK now that I know I do not have a stubborn virus. - regards

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
There is more then one way to find the issue at hand.

• Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application
    • System
  • Under 'Select type to list', select (as appropriate):
    • Error
    • Information
    • Warning
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:

Either:
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
    Type 3 in the 1 to 20 box (or any number from 1 to 20)
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.

• Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
    In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 20 01 2013
    In the To: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 22 01 2013
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
Please post the Output log in your next reply

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
"it is not part of a Chrome failure alone but part of a machine system crash and blackout while Chrome is active."
I found that also as I was searching the issue. It was reported that it would also occur when the computer was shut down with Chrome open. So a system crash with it open will do the same thing.

Do you know what is causing the crash?

Kidbrooke9

Kidbrooke9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you again. Have downloaded VEW.exe onto the desktop as you instructed. At Present I am battling to get it to run. Error message appears - Runtime error '75' - Path/File access error. Same thing happens wherever I save it to. Have run the windows compatibility and set it to Windows7, with ans without administrator box ticked.

I am embarrassed that I am taking up so much of your valuable time, so please don't hesitate tell me so. I never intended for it to be taken this far. There have not been any further crashes for the past 2 weeks or so. It happens 1 - 2x per month and I can live with that. This desk top PC boots up OK each time. Not a big deal for a simple home user.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are not taking up my time as this is what I enjoy doing. I'm here no matter how long it takes.

Lets try another program if you don't mind.

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions and program

Kidbrooke9

Kidbrooke9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
AHA! Just crashed again - google joke screen and all While downloading aus-disk defragger from one of your lists of software. I have tried to run your programs and append the results above

Attached Thumbnails

• SCREENSAVE 2013-01-23 04h26pm.jpg
  • SCREENSAVE 2012-01-23 4h30pm.jpg

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I don't know why you attached a OTL report as nobody requested that.
Since BSV doesn't see any crashes there is a possibilities dump files are not enabled on your system.
Try this below.

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.
Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

Kidbrooke9

Kidbrooke9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I uploaded OTL output because it was the only program you(plural)suggested, that I could get an output from. my apologies if it was unhelpful. I have downloaded and run WHOCRASHED.exe as instructed. On clicking 'Analyze' there is a transient blue screen with white writing that is too fast to read, together with an error beep. I append the output it gave. This happened on the two prervious times I used it. I uninstalled (Revo) and did a fresh download and re-installation each time. I have followed some of the suggestions: The PC is enabled to write out the full (Kernel) dump. Page file - set to max allowed. - Disk space - most of the 1TB disk available. Crash dump test - I was too intimidated to try it. - Regards

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OTL is part of the post where I suggested you might have a infection in post 2 I believe. It is part of the malware forum and we don't use it in this part of the forum. Since this obviously isn't a infection issue then that post is not valid.
The good news with the whocrashed is it does not show any driver as being the issue. That verifies the issue is with Chrome and the system itself. By chance do you know what version of Chrome you are using.
As suggested before the message happens for several reasons but all of them point at Chrome being the issue. I'm just thinking that maybe a fresh install of chrome might resolve the issue. The blue screen with white lettering you mentioned is most likely a BSOD and show show up with the Blue Screen view if you run it again. :thumbsup:

Advertisements

Kidbrooke9

Kidbrooke9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The version of chrome in current use is: 24.0.1312.56

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That looks to be the newest version from what I can find. Are you still getting the message?