Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer starts fine then freezes after a few minutes

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Open IE in the admin login. Tools (or Alt + x), Internet Options, Advanced, then click on the Reset button near the bottom. OK. Close IE and then reopen it and verify that it works OK. Now try your other login.

Advertisements

hajiwon

hajiwon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
internet explorer works on both accounts,yet it still freezes after a couple minutes. Mozilla (the one I usually use) does not work on the 2nd user account.

When I click on Mozilla, the computer freezes.

Edited by hajiwon, 17 January 2013 - 05:19 PM.

hajiwon

hajiwon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
The reason why system restore doesn't work is because there's not enough memory on my laptop. When I have about 1 or 2 gb left, the C Drive automatically gets more space for me. I think this is possibly the reason why my computer is acting up (maybe?) I already deleted several files off my laptop, so now I have almost 30 gb.
I know I should get an external drive to add more space.

I went to this forum and it looked like it's a similar problem of mine.

http://en.kioskea.ne...up-all-the-time

But nothing worked so far.

Edited by hajiwon, 17 January 2013 - 04:47 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
You do need to free up some more space on the hard drive. Try CCleaner:

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

If you have pictures or videos, consider burning them to a Cd or DVD or uploading them to one of the online sites like Flickr or picasa then deleting them from your drive.

For Firefox try starting it in safe mode from the command line:

Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator, Continue. Type with an Enter after the line:

firefox.exe  -safe-mode

If it starts OK in this mode then go into Firefox, Add-ons and Disable all of the plugins and Extensions

(You probably need to use the full path name for firefox.exe. Probably something like "c:\program files\mozilla firefox\firefox.exe -safe-mode )

hajiwon

hajiwon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
I do have CCleaner on my system and use it very often.

I was able to disable all of the plugins and Extensions in safe mode.

The internet still freezes when I use it in normal mode. It doesn't even load completely.
There's only a white page and the tab says connecting, then the laptop freezes (while the mouse is still able to move).

It doesn't matter if I click on an internet browser or not, the system will freeze in 2-3 minutes in normal mode.

Edited by hajiwon, 17 January 2013 - 07:41 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator, Continue. Type with an Enter after each line:

msconfig

Go to Services tab and click on the box to hide Microsoft Services then uncheck
everything that remains. Go to Startup tab and uncheck everything. OK and
reboot into regular mode. Does it still lock up?

hajiwon

hajiwon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Okay, I've done all that and it still freezes 2 minutes in (in normal mode.)

Sometimes when I cannot get into safe mode, I go to startup repair and it said system volume on disk is corrupt. Then it performs file system repair (chkdsk).

After that, safe mode works.

Edited by hajiwon, 17 January 2013 - 11:33 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Go into Safe Mode menu and select the Low resolution video option. It might call it VGA in Vista. See if that runs without hanging.

The check disk thing implies either a bad hard drive or bad memory. Not sure why it would work in Safe Mode unless it doesn't hit that memory location. Try the built in memory test:

http://www.howtogeek...iagnostic-tool/

Let it run through a few times.

hajiwon

hajiwon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
I did the Low resolution video option and it still freezes nonetheless.
The memory test did not show any errors.

But, Mozilla Firefox works now in normal mode after I reset firefox to default settings.

Yet the system still freezes.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Go back into msconfig and select Diagnostic Startup. Apply, OK and reboot. Does it still freeze?

Advertisements

hajiwon

hajiwon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
The computer hasn't froze in Diagnostic Startup.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Interesting. Go back into msconfig and this time uncheck the Hide Microsoft services and then uncheck everything under Services and Startup. Apply and reboot. Does it freeze now? If not, go back in and turn on some of the Microsoft services then apply and reboot. See if one of them causes the problem. Try to isolate it down to a single service.

hajiwon

hajiwon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Okay, I'll let you know once I am done. Thanks Ron.

hajiwon

hajiwon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
I hope to get back to you by next week, since I'm a bit busy now. Thanks Ron for being patient and for helping me with my computer problem. Have a nice weekend.

hajiwon

hajiwon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
I did what you asked and it seems the Microsoft service called "Superfetch" is what's causing the freeze-up. I have no idea what that service is.
So, I've checked every microsoft service except "Superfetch" and the computer doesn't freeze and the internet also works fine now.

Edited by hajiwon, 21 January 2013 - 09:59 PM.