Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer runs slow after reinstall WIN 7 x64

• Please log in to reply

Alain79

Alain79

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok guys please help me, i've done everything possible at my knowledge and i can't make this computer to work.

The computer: Toshiba Satellite L645D-S4056, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, AMD Turion II P540 Dual-Core 2.4 Ghz, with Win 7 Home premium x64.

The first problem, is that the computer got a virus i'm pretty sure because a friend installed a screensaver and it crashed after that, the system went into an infinite restart loop, i tried booting in safe mode and it always stopped at CLASSPNP.SYS then restart again, i tried to make a system recovery but it didn't work always stopped responding when tried that.
After many attempts i finally make a low level format to the hard drive, to start from 0.

After that the win 7 disk format the disk create the partition and install normally, but when everything was set up, the desktop runs very slow, i can only instal the display driver, the other drivers LAN, Wi Fi, TouchPad, Sound, etc. takes like 2 hours to install, and crashed windows after the touchpad installation.
I have reinstalled Win7 3 times and the 3 times everything runs the same, very slow.

Other things that have happen is that when checking the amount of RAM memory in the System it says 4.00 GB (1.74 Utilizable)
I tried to boot in safe mode to see if anything runs faster but no everything the same and i saw a long time when loading the CLASSPNP.SYS, after that it starts but goes slow even in safe mode.

I already perform a CHKDSK /F no problems at all
I already reseted the bios
I already defragmented the hard drive
The sata in the BIOS is set to AHCI
There isn't a BIOS update in the toshiba webpage.
There is no Chipset driver for this computer in the toshiba website.

Please help me solve this!!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks guys!

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Hi Alain and welcome to Geeks To Go.

Can I ask why you are running a disk check on F: when the Win 7 install should be on C:?

Are you using back to factory recovery disks previously made on the Toshiba?

Alain79

Alain79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Wolfeymole, thanks for answering, i performed a CHKDSK /F to perform the fix command, but always in the C: drive.
And no the factory OS was missed since there were no recovery discs, and i am using a retail Win 7 Home Premium.

Today i found that after installing the WiFi driver and the Ethernet driver the system crashed again and won't recognize the hard drive at all.

What i'm thinking is that the hard drive is damaged even when CHKDSK tells the drive is fine because for no reason at all it tends to crash, specially after some program modifies the win registry like installing a driver, or if i finally detect the NIC and connect to a network via ethernet it causes the hard drive to crash, Wireless driver crashes the hard drive just after installing.

I think my next step is to try to change the hard drive and see if it fixes the problem. :thumbsup:

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I apologise for my incorrect assessment of your command line Alain.

When you were in the process of installing did you completely remove all previous partitions that were on the machine and start afresh with just a single partition?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

After that the win 7 disk format the disk create the partition and install normally, but when everything was set up, the desktop runs very slow, i can only instal the display driver, the other drivers LAN, Wi Fi, TouchPad, Sound, etc. takes like 2 hours to install, and crashed windows after the touchpad installation.
I have reinstalled Win7 3 times and the 3 times everything runs the same, very slow.

You should install the smbus or motherboard chipset first before anything else as this will help the motherboard identify the other chipsets correctly. May or may not be the root issue but worth a try.

Alain79

Alain79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Wolfeymole, yes i did remove the previous partitions in fact the only way that the hard drive can be recognized by the installing environment of windows is if i perform a low level disk format otherwise it stops responding when it is supposed to detect the hard drive.
Weird thing is that the computer runs slow but it runs after the windows first start up, until i set up the drivers or connect to internet the hard drive crashes again :confused:

Thanks for your response! :thumbsup:

Alain79

Alain79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

You should install the smbus or motherboard chipset first before anything else as this will help the motherboard identify the other chipsets correctly. May or may not be the root issue but worth a try.

Yeah i think that too but the problem is that in the toshiba webpage there is no chipset driver at all for this machine :upset:

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Have a read of this when attempting to find the missing drivers Alain.

http://aps2.toshiba-...02U00000R01.htm