Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dinosaur Printer Problems

• Please log in to reply

SculptorDan

SculptorDan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all,

I'm trying to get an Epson Stylus Color 1520 to play nice with my Win7 laptop, but am having big problems.

It's connected via a USB to Printer cable converter, and I've gone through the recommended process of installing it via the Add New Printer wizard, selecting the USB Printer port, running windows update, then selecting the correct printer from the list, it tells me I have successfully installed the printer, then..... nothing.

The printer is displayed on the devices and printers page, but nothing else works. It shows that the printer has an error, but the only solution that windows can suggest is setting it as the default printer, which does nothing.

Please help! I love my enormous clunky old printer!

Thank you.

Advertisements

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
My first suggestion would be to dump the Win 7 printer drivers, as they rarely ever work correctly. Depending upon the version of Win 7 you are running (32 or 64 bit), Epson does have a driver for your printer from July 2012. Here is the link http://www.epson.com...form=OSF_W_7-64 use the drop down to pick the right version. Install that, and see if that fixes your problem.

SculptorDan

SculptorDan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Fyrfyter33,

I've tried finding drivers through the Epson site, as you suggested, but it just bounces me back to Win7 - Windows 7 printer drivers for this model are included in the Windows 7 operating system. Follow the instructions below to install the Windows 7 printer driver. - it then goes on to take me through the stages I listed below.

Windows is having problems. It detects the printer as an Unknown usb device, and even once I've been through the installation process it still shows an Unknown usb device on the system, as well as the printer (that does nothing).

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
What is the brand of the USB to (I'm guessing) parallel adapter did you purchase? This item may need its own specific drivers as well to work correctly.