Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Continuous restart after hardware upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Yuuuuuuup

Yuuuuuuup

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Yesterday I picked up a brand new motherboard and processor. I began installation of said products when I realized my HDD was IDE while my MB only had SATA connections. After some research I found an IDE to SATA adaptor on amazon and purchased it. After installation of the adaptor, my OS loading bar instantly freezes. A blue screen flashes once and my computer reboots. I tried Windows repair with my OS cd but it says I recently plugged in a device such as a mp3 player or something and should remove it to repair windows. The only things plugged in are my mouse and keyboard. I'm assuming its talking about the adaptor........ Any advice on how to get around this? I have so many precious pictures and videos of my son on there I cannot bare to lose.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,792 posts
:welcome: Yuuuuuuup

The first thing that I would suggest is to back up the important data on the HDD first, there are various ways of doing this and the method that you use will depend on the resources that you have available, options include placing the HDD in an external USB HDD enclosure and back the data up to another computer, reassemble the original components and either burn the data to disk, copy the data to a USB memory stick or a second HDD.

The problem that you are having may be due to the OS on the HDD not recognizing or having generic drivers for the new MB, can you provide the following details for us please;

Is the previous computer a custom build or a brand name such as a Dell or HP for example.
Do you have a full retail OS disk and a product key for the OS that is not in use on another computer.**
What is the OS Vista or Windows 7 and is it 32 or 64-bit.
What are the brand and model name or number details of both the previous and new MB and CPU please.

** For anyone reading this topic that is not aware of the licence restrictions of an OS provided with an OEM computer please see my canned text below;

Just a cautionary note, unless your OS disk is the full retail edition you cannot use it with a new MB as an OEM disk is tied to the original MB it was paired with, to use an OEM disk with a new MB is software piracy and therefore illegal.
Exceptions to the above are 1: If your MB is replaced under warranty and 2: If your MB is replaced out of warranty with an alternative type but same brand due to the original model no longer being available, an upgraded MB however will require the purchase of a new OS licence.

Please note that no inference is ever intended and that the information is provided to help people avoid inadvertently breaking the law.

Yuuuuuuup

Yuuuuuuup

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yeah its a custom build. The old MB was an ancient asus dinosaur and the processor was equally old. I was using a 32 bit Vista that I had bought with a laptop years ago. I was not aware it was an issue. I assumed the cd key belonged to me and I could use it accordingly seeing as the POS dell blew up within days of warranty void I figures at least I got an OS out of the deal lol. There lies the problem I suppose. I will just have to get another HDD and new OS and just drop the old setup in another tower to retrieve my old info.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,792 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

Is reassembling the old set up not an option then.