Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corrupted primary partition?

• Please log in to reply

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
When you partitioned the drive "years ago" what you didn't do was create a new partition in the unallocated space which had you done so would have given you a working partition.

However this is not the most pressing issue at the moment as now drive C: is that full it doesn't have any room left to work so to speak.

You should have been getting something like "Disk Full" errors showing at some point.

The drive that does not have a drive letter does indeed appear to be a recovery partition so your best option would be to do a back to factory reinstall via the tools in Start/ All Programs or using any disks that you may have made.

Doing so will then enlarge C: back to its original size by removing the unallocated partition and will leave the recovery partition intact.

Please tell us the make and model of your PC also.

Advertisements

shelleywa

shelleywa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
My laptop is a Lenovo 3000, N200. I've had it for many years, so the disk space isn't great (and I've already increased the RAM) but it's proved to be reliable (even if my backups haven't!).

I haven't been receiving any error messages though, strange.

I did create a second partition - the same one that I wanted to take the space from when I posted the original post. But since then I've deleted that partition, so now it is just unallocated space. Is that what you mean?

OK, I will do a clean install over the next few days (as it takes so long!).

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Ok please let us know how you go on Shelley.