Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory in C Drive is full

• Please log in to reply

PHutch

PHutch

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
My Computer is Dell N5110 Intel Core i5-2430M [email protected], 4.0GB RAM, 64 Bit OS, Running Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1.

Hard drive capacity is 451GB, currently showing 29.9 GB of memory remaining.
I do not have an excess amount of programs, or I don't believe I do and I am trying to get into the habit of storing excess information on my external hard drive. I bought this computer a couple of years ago.

There are two things that I have done differently before I noticed that my C Drive memory was low (or at least when I noticed the memory was near full).

1. On the advice of obtaining an online back up / mirror image of my computer, over the weekend, I tried to install a trial version of Acronis and Acronis online. The program downloaded, but I could never get the prompt box to appear so I could type in the temporary access code.

2. I use lightroom and photoshop (amateur) and have been working on backing up and attempting to organize my lightroom catalogs (to an external hard drive, or so I thought).

I am not sure of the exact date of when my C drive showed the small amount of memory, as I accessed it last night and noticed. The last time I know for sure that the C drive memory was less than half full was around the first week in January.

I attempted to perform a system restore and obtained a blue screen with the following:
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage. A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.
If this is the first time you have noticed this error message, restart computer. If screen appears again follow these steps.
Check to make sure any new hardware, software properly installed.
If problems continue, disable Bios memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components restart computer, F8 to select advance start up, then safe mode.
Technical info:
***Stop: 0x000000F4 (0x0000000000000003, 0xFFFFFA8009C1AB30, 0xFFFFFA8009C1AE10, 0xFFFFF8003FDB460)

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Download and run Treesize Free. It will show you what is using the space on your hard drive.

PHutch

PHutch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Ok, I have done that. But I'm not sure what exactly to be looking for.
I see a file that shows to be 299.7 GB, 74 files located under the System Volume Information Tab.

The files do not have names, just a string of numbers. When I try to copy and paste, it says "access denied"

Please advise.
Thanks

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Is there a wedge next to the 299GB folder? If so, click on it to see what folders are under it.

Also, post a screen shot of the Treesize window.

How to Use the Snipping Tool in Vista - Vista Forums (says it's for Vista but also works with Win 7).

Use the Browse and Attach This File buttons below the text input area while using the Full editor to upload and insert here.

PHutch

PHutch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Ok, here are a couple of screen shots. Sorry, I started my computer in safe mode with networking this evening. If you need me to return to normal state and re-post I can/will.
You mention "full editor and insert here".
First, I looked as best I could, I used the trial version of TreeSize, I do not see the full editor option. Am I missing the link because I am in safe mode?

Attached Thumbnails

• TreeSizeResults1.JPG
  • TreeSizeResults2.JPG

PHutch

PHutch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I am also attaching the next two files, mainly because I inadvertently backed up my computer evidently to my C- Drive. The file Paula.PaulaPC is the back up (and was listed under my C Drive at one point, since then I have moved this file to my external drive).

The next two attachments are screen shots concerning that area.

Attached Thumbnails

• TreeSizeResults3.JPG
  • TreeSizeResults4.JPG

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
System Volume Information is where System Restore points and Volume Shadow Copy store stuff. You can safely delete all but the most recent System Restore point. See here: System Volume Information access

PHutch

PHutch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I am now running the 30 day trial of the Professional Version. I will post results if I can when done.

PHutch

PHutch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Ok, I have completed deleting restore points, cleaning up disk drive, using CC Cleaner to assure areas were cleaned.
Emptied recycle bin with programs, ran check disk.
Thanks...
I am now back to I believe the previous memory that I currently held.
Instead of 29, 30 GB, I now have 330 GB of memory available on my 450 GB hard drive.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That's good news. Thanks for letting me know.