Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Password Reset Wizard not appearing

• Please log in to reply

dm27

dm27

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Greetings everyone,

I have been attempting to create a Password Rest Disk, and the Forgotten Password Wizard will not appear.

I have attempted to bring it up via the Start screen (via search) and through the Control Panel (Control Panel\User Accounts and Family Safety\User Accounts) link methods with no success.

Machine is an Asus desktop with a clean upgrade install of Win8 Pro 64 bit.

Key specs
* Core i5 @ 2.90Ghz
* 8 GB Ram
* 1 TB Hard drive
* Avast 7 Free Antivirus
* Malwarebytes Pro 1.70

Attempted with various Avast shields disabled and reviewed the Event Viewer for any hints, but nothing really stood out.

Any ideas that could solve this are most welcome.

Sincerely,

DM

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Insert the usb drive if that is what you are going use

ensure it is ready and of course recognised

it does not need to be formatted

other files on it will remain

shut down not sleep or hibernate and reboot

DO NOT open any applications except control panel user accounts and then click password reset disc.

Does it now work please - if not run a system file check - cmd prompt with admin rights and type

sfc /scannow

On a different note if you are running Windows defender which is included in 8 and is on 8 a full protection - as was Microsoft Security essentials which must NOT be installed on 8 AND you have Avast and MBAM in real time I am surprised that you are not experiencing problems or at the very least a slow response to certain functions

Edited by Macboatmaster, 22 January 2013 - 07:57 PM.

dm27

dm27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hello Macboatmaster,

The install USB > shutdown > reboot > go to Control Panel method worked just fine. :thumbsup:

In regards to Defender, it was disabled by Windows when I installed Avast! and I haven't experienced any issues (so far) with MBAM running concurrently with it.

Thanks again for your assistance!

DM

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Thanks for replying, pleased it worked.