Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do TVs also contain Cinavia (or does it come only in players)?

• Please log in to reply

EagerToLearn

EagerToLearn

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

I have been looking for Cinavia-free 3D Blu-ray players like crazy.
But I have come to suspect that the source of my Cinavia problems is not my Blu-ray player, but my recently bought smart TV

Bit is that even possible? Can an output display device be capable of detecting the Cinavia watermark?
(My TV is a 42LM6400 LED)

Here's what leads me to think that my TV might be the cause:

My sister has just bought a new 3D TV, pretty much like mine, only that it's not a smart TV, just a FLL HD3D.

So I lent her my Blu-ray player, which is Cinavia-infected, along with my Blu-ray movies in 3D, some of which are Cinavia-infected aswell.

But...

When my sister played them on her TV, she never got the Cinavia error message, nor did she have her audio muted. It just played them all the way through as if they had no Cinavia at all.

How so?

It was the same player...
Playing the same disks...
The only difference was that the 3D TV had no smart-features.

So... ho come she never had any problem while I can't even watch half an hour of movie without getting the movie muted.

Is it possible that my smart TV itself is Cinavia-protected?

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I can't see that the TV would be the issue but if what you say is correct then your sister should have got the same errors that you did.

Consider this excerpt from Wiki.

When media with the watermark is played back on a system with Cinavia detection, its firmware will detect the watermark and check that the device on which it is being played is authorized for that watermark. If the device is not authorized (such as not being an authorized movie projector in the case of a cam bootleg, or not utilizing AACS in the case of a copy of a commercial Blu-ray disc or CSS in the case of a copy of a commercial DVD), a message is displayed (either immediately or after a set duration) stating that the media is not authorized for playback on the device and that users should visit the Cinavia web page for more information. Depending on the device and firmware, once the message is triggered, the audio may be muted, or playback may stop entirely.

It would seem that pirated disks are being used here.

Edited by Wolfeymole, 23 January 2013 - 03:13 AM.