Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Major Problems With XP and cant Reinstall

• Please log in to reply

Tomcamra

Tomcamra

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, i have only had this computer for about 6 months now, its one of eveshams award winners and they used it to win a graphgics compotition on the release of DOOM 3. The problem started about a month ago, it first said that my ISDN connection was not connected, so i checked it, it was fine then reinstalled the drivers and restarted. No change. I checked wall connection and then restarted again. This time when i restarted the computer did not load windows it only came to the XP loading logo with the blue scrolling bar and went blank. I thin restarted multiple times using various startup options and still failed. Then after about the 10th time and the dreaded blue screen came up. So after fighting a losing battle i decide to reinstall XP. Then i put the CD in and try a reinstall. Runs through the system check as usual and then pauses at "Setup is starting windows" gives me no options at all, no chance to do anything. So i thought mabe the hard drives screwed, bought a new hard drive, same problem... This is a brand new 40GB Maxtor and the CD won't install on it. So... i thought id try another operation system, i put windows 98 on this new hard drive (couldnt on the old one as it was SATA and NTFS). This worked which was a miricle and after hourse of problems claiming there wasnt enough IRQ requests i finally get it up and running successfully YEY.
***Also another symptom of this thing is whenever i move the mouse or push the keyboard the coimputer turns on, and there is nothing set in the bios allowing this****
So i have this and then i start back on track to getting XP again. I read in a different forum that someone said that there problem with XP was due to the BIOS settings, so i default the bios settings, then load 98 and it says it cant load coz hymen .sis has vanished. and i decided i give up. CAN SOMEBODY HELP.

Cheers Tom

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

You need to go into BIOS and make sure the first boot device is set to the cd-rom.. Once it is, put your XP cd into the drive .. save the change to BIOS and restart the system..

You should get a couple options when the system boots up: Boot from hard-drive or boot from cd..

Pick "Boot from cd".. From there, just follow the prompts!!

Murray

Tomcamra

Tomcamra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
blaitently already done that. sorry but i shown its says cd rom booting, then begings the windows recovery disk and checks hardware as it does usually and then goes on the blue WINDOWS XP SETUP screen "swetup is starting windows" --- FREEZE end...

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Boot into BIOS and make sure the onboard av is disabled..

When you get to the recovery console are you running the repair option??

Murray

Tomcamra

Tomcamra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
please can you read the whole of the first post. I said i didnt get any option, i also said in that post that i got it to begin the setup disk but it froze before i could choose any option. I have no problem with getting it loaded, just that it freezes when its inspected my computers hardware on the bit that says setup is starting windows. Any other ideas why it doesnt work.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;310760