Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Babylon Malware/adware detected with Spybot [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

calmat01

calmat01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Actually, it's in Firefox that this keeps happening. I tried internet explorer and it happened there, as well. I have uninstalled all versions of all ADOBE programs in both firefox and IE formats, and when I have reinstalled them, more crashes occur.

Advertisements

gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 7,268 posts
Hello calmat01

I want you to try this for firefox and give me a quick update to how things are.

I want you to reset firefox back to defaults, to do this I need you to do this

• At the top of the Firefox window, click the "Firefox" button,
  • go over to the "Help" sub-menu
    • (on Windows XP, click the Help menu at the top of the Firefox window) and select "Troubleshooting Information".
  • Click the "Reset Firefox" button in the upper-right corner of the Troubleshooting Information page.
  • click "Reset Firefox" in the confirmation window that opens.
  • Firefox will close and be reset. When it's done. Click "Finish" and Firefox will open.

restart the computer and check firefox for me now

Gringo

gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 7,268 posts
Greetings

I have not heard from you in a couple of days so I am coming by to check on you to see if you are having problems or you just need some more time.

Also to remind you that it is very important that we finish the process completely so as to not get reinfected. I will let you know when we are complete and I will ask to remove our tools

Gringo

calmat01

calmat01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I forgot to leave you a message. Last night, I tried to go into the Firefox help menu, but I couldn't find the option to troubleshoot and reset firefox. I have seen it before as I recall being able to do it some time ago, but for some reason I could not find it last night. When I get home from work, I will try it again. Thank you for not closing the item, as I failed to reply in a few days.

gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 7,268 posts
try and update firefox to the latest version and see if you can reset it

gringo

calmat01

calmat01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I was able to update firefox, and then reset it back to default settings. MSN.com used to open up and crash immediately with the previous version of Firefox. I tried it with the updated version, and no crashes!

gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 7,268 posts
Ok try and run the online scan now please

gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 7,268 posts
Greetings

I have not heard from you in a couple of days so I am coming by to check on you to see if you are having problems or you just need some more time.

Also to remind you that it is very important that we finish the process completely so as to not get reinfected. I will let you know when we are complete and I will ask to remove our tools

Gringo

calmat01

calmat01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I tried running the Malware Anti-Root kit, but once again, it got hung up on a file somewhere along the scan. I tried it a second and third time, but it got hung up each time. I've had no crashes from either Firefox or Internet Explorer, however, and things are running a bit faster. However, occasionally, it does act as if a web page needing adobe flash or shockwave is going to crash, but then after a pause, it opens.

gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 7,268 posts
did you run the online scan?

Advertisements

calmat01

calmat01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I thought the Malware scan was the scan you wanted me to run. If not, which is the scan? Just so you know, I tried the Malware scan one last time, and I got through both the Driver scan and the Sector scans, but once I got to the system scan, it got hung up on a system32 dll file.

gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 7,268 posts
the scan from post 26

calmat01

calmat01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I ran the scan and the same thing happened that has happened before. I cannot complete the scan as it gets hung up after 99% of the scan has been completed. I have tried it on three different occasions and it keeps hanging up on a dll file.

gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 7,268 posts
how long has been on that one file before you stop the scan?

calmat01

calmat01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
It stays on that file for quite some time. Four plus hours into the scan, it just freezes and stops counting the time and I stop being able to use the computer. I have to do a hard reboot. I did not keep track of the time it was on that one file, but as soon as it hits it, not long after, the timer freezes, my mouse freezes, and then everything stops working.