Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help needed to optimise xp, ie & drive speed please. VERY SLOW AT

• Please log in to reply

slimc33

slimc33

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have a very slow running XP pc. It has gotten slower over the last few months and that is with the help of ccleaner and there are no mw, av or spyw showing on any logs at all. I have had a look out there and can see that there are plenty of apps that will help me but wouldnt know what to do with them.

Can anyone help me please??

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First off how much memory is installed and then after posting that please proceed with the following.

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Click the Options at the top of the Window. In the new little window click the box that states Hide Microsoft Services
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save the file as AutoRuns.txt file instead of the default .arn to a known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.
8: DO NOT do anything till we have had a chance to study the log and reply with suggestions as to what to remove.

Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see you hard drive.
Male sure the window is open all the way on the top right so I can see all the info it has.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG or PNG and save it to your Desktop
Make sure the window is open all the way so I can see everything on the top right window.

Attach it to your next reply

slimc33

slimc33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi thanks for the prompt response. It has 1gb of ram.

Please find attached the autorun log and the diskman log.

Attached Thumbnails

• dskmanag.JPG

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Wow that autoruns log is unreadable. Something didn't go right with that at all.
Your free space is good but that is one small OS drive for sure.

slimc33

slimc33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hope this log is better.

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok much better and I see a one entry that can be removed.

Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "0" "" "" "File not found: About:Home"

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.

slimc33

slimc33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hello. Ive done as you requested with regards the defrag and the tfc. I was however unable to remove what you asked me to because it was not visible on the list to uncheck.

What shall I do?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have marked the one in the picture below to unclick. It is showing File Not Found which means it is unable to load which may be causing a slowdown in your system.

slimc33

slimc33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
what next?

I looked at comp health on auslogics disk frags, it's showing a [bleep] of lot of issues with the regs?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A lot of people have various opinions about reg cleaners but I stick to what GTG states about them below.

A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable.
We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there.
Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

Just a note: Before attempting to clean or fix any registry you should always make a backup of it first just in case something goes wrong.

slimc33

slimc33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ok ive read and understood that, thanks.

Is there anything else we can do do to system as it is now?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How is the system running now?

slimc33

slimc33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I must admit it is quicker just didnt know if there was anything else we could do to further improve the running. Thanks for your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can I ask how much total memory you have installed?
The hard drive is small and probably slow itself so as a suggestion a larger newer hard drive would be faster which could help.