Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspiron boot then shutoff

• Please log in to reply

Mikejar123

Mikejar123

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello,

So I have a friend of mines laptop. It is a dell Inspiron 1545, his wife accidentally broke the dc power jack and when she turns on the laptop it tries to boot the bios then shuts off and tries to restart.

My first thing was to replace the power jack board, so I did.

I now have the new one in and it's doing the same thing.

I took both sticks of ram out and tried 1 at a time and still does the same thing but when I take out both sticks of ram Iafter I do and try to turn it on i hear the boot beep of 2 short beeps.

I'm pretty much stuck. I know It has to be either the mobo or CPU but I would love to try to figure out which one because there is about a 80 dollar difference between them..

Any help would be great!!!!

Thanks,
Mike

Edited by Mikejar123, 29 January 2013 - 12:34 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: Mikejar123

Couple of questions if I may, can you at any time hear the cooling fan working and do you get any sort of display on the screen or is it constantly black.

when I take out both sticks of ram Iafter I do and try to turn it on i hear the boot beep of 2 short beeps.

Can you explain this a little more please, is this with no Ram in the slots or when you have reinserted the Ram that you get two beeps.

If it is with all Ram removed it suggests that the Ram and DIMM slots may be ok and that the issue lays elsewhere and possibly the video chip.

Mikejar123

Mikejar123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The cooling fan only cuts on for a second. The dell logo and a loading bar will appear then the computer shuts off

And with the ram it makes the beeping noise when both sticks of ram are not in the computer.

Mikejar123

Mikejar123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Also it appears the computer is not charging the battery I left it plugged in unplugged the charger an nothing happened when I tried to turn it on

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I was coming to the AC adaptor and the battery next rather than swamp you with information all at once :thumbsup:

With the additional information you have provided I suggest looking into the battery and AC adaptor first.

Does the AC adaptor have an LED on it that normally illuminates when it is plugged in and the power turned on and if so does it still illuminate.

Have you tried Removing the battery and connecting only the AC adaptor and vice versa AC adaptor removed and battery power only - what happens in both instances please.

Rather than double post can you use the edit button if you wish to add further information before I have replied as this will avoid filling up my mail box which may lead to a reply being overlooked, thanks.

Mikejar123

Mikejar123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes I have tried to remove the battery same thing happens and yes the light in the ac adaptor illuminates just like normal

Mikejar123

Mikejar123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I just went ahead and ordered a new board and CPU.

Mikejar123

Mikejar123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Bump*