Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Game apps causing Norton 360 scan to stall

• Please log in to reply

Wish4

Wish4

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm a new member here and hope this is the right forum for my problem. I use Windows 8, IE 10, 64-bit, run Norton 360 (latest version), have Malwarebytes installed as well and have this problem with the free Xbox games. I've been playing 2 free Xbox games (Microsoft Mahjong & Taptiles) which were available through the Microsoft game store. I installed the game apps, and the games work fine but the problem occurs when I start my Norton 360 Full System Scan. The scan stalls when it's scanning either of those game apps. The scan only stalls after playing these 2 games. I've tested the scanning process numerous times, and the stalling is definitely linked to those 2 game apps. The scan won't continue, and I've let it run for a good hour hoping it might continue the scan but nothing happens. I then use the End Task Manager since I can't stop the scan and close Norton. I click on the Stop Scan button and it won't shut down. I then sign out, restart the computer, restart the Norton scan and the scan picks up where it stalled previously. It will then continue to run the scan. The scan has also stalled at the end during the Tuneup Activites. Again, this has only happened after playing those games. I finally uninstalled the game apps and my scans are running fine. Does anyone know what could cause this? I've posted on the Norton forum about it but we've been unable to resolve the problem. Your site was one of several that was suggested I go to and maybe find a solution.

Thank you in advance for any assistance regarding this.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
is this the trial version or full version of Norton? My recommendation would be to remove Norton and enable Microsoft Defender (comes with windows 8).

Wish4

Wish4

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, No, I have the full version of Norton 360. I've never had any problems running Norton in the past. We've used their security program for many years and have always been satisfied with the performance of their program. Seems Microsoft favors Kaspersky for some reason which I don't know. Norton Symantec is actively trying to iron out some of the problems people are encountering with their product and Windows 8. Kaspersky's trial version was installed on my new computer, and I removed it. To my knowledge, it's been completely uninstalled. The stalling only occurs with the Xbox games which are promoted apps with Microsoft. Other than that, I'm pleased with Norton and have learned to trust their security program. I've never used Windows Defender. I've yet to see where Defender has rated well as far as security programs are concerned. I'll stick with Norton and hope this issue will be resolved soon.

Thank you for your time and your reply regarding my problem.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I don't have windows 8 running at the moment, so I can't test your issue. However, I would suspect that something is still in use, causing Norton not to be able to move on to the next file. You said it only occurs if you run a scan after playing one of those two games? Are you able to run a full scan successfully after a full reboot of the system?

Wish4

Wish4

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, The scan runs without any hiccups after I shut down my computer and start it up again. I experimented with it a couple of weeks ago, and that's what is necessary to run the scan without it stalling. Other game apps scan fine but it seems the Xbox games which are connected to my Microsoft account cause the stalling. To play the Xbox games, I have to be signed into my Microsoft account. I do need to try the scan after signing out of Microsoft and making sure the specific game apps are closed before running the scan. I'll give that a go and hope for good result. I'll report back with the results afterwards.

Thank you again for your reply.

Wish4

Wish4

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay, back with my update. I made sure I was signed out of my Microsoft account and closed all apps, and the problem with the scan stalling on the Xbox game apps still happened. I wrote to Microsoft via their help forum about this problem, and hoping I'll receive a satisfactory reply. The Xbox games uses a person's Microsoft account to sign in to play their games. In all the years I've used Norton, I've never encountered a problem like this one. As usual I had to sign out but today I just signed out and didn't restart my computer. I signed back in and opened Norton Full Scan, and it started at the point where it stalled and finished scanning successfully. So, this is a change, too. I've tried just signing out before and then starting the scan after signing back in and it didn't work. Today it did. I swear we have a poltergeist in this house. I can't figure this out for the life of me. Ugh!