Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows xp hd into a windows 7 computer?

• Please log in to reply

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Please forgive my ignorance but I am here to learn... I recently bought a new desktop computer running windows 7. My old computer was running windows xp pro and the hd was nearly maxed out. The old computer crashed (I will be seeking info on that next) and it had an extra storage hd in it containing a lot of pics, videos and music that I would love to save. Can I move that hd out of the old computer that ran xp pro into the new computer with windows 7? I figured if I can move the hd over and copy it on a thumbdrive, I can clean the extra hd and possibly use it to save the rest of the info on my other hd. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes you can move the second drive to the Win7 system if it has the videos, music and pics on it. You should be able to move everything over to the new system and then format the hd if you wish. No programs will work but the data you mentioned should be no problem at all.
Remember when copying stuff from the XP drive you can only copy the data files and not the programs. They would need to be reinstalled.

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
OK, Thanks to on-going car probs I am just getting back to this. I pulled the extra hd out of the old computer and it seems to hook up different in the new computer. The old computer has a long strip (about 2" long) running into the front as well as one small plug with four wires running to it. The new computer's hd has the small plug and one smaller plug running into it. I take it this won't work. The small plug with four wires fits right but the new computer has no long plug to hook up. What should I do now? Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Does the picture below show the two different connections you are mentioning?
If so which is the drive you are trying to put in the other system?

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Man you are good! The top pic shows the hard drive that I want to move to the other computer. Is this going to work?

Edited by chuckgibson, 09 February 2013 - 04:50 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It is the old IDE style connection and I would think that your other system should have at least one of those controllers on the motherboard.

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Wow! No such luck. No place to plug it in. At this point I will turn my attention to getting the old XP Pro computer to boot up. I guess tomorrow you will be seeing my post in the XP section. Thank you very much for trying to help me.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What is the brand of system you are trying to plug it into or the motherboard make and model. We can check it for connections.

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
The info I could get off of the motherboard reads:

Acer Inc.
IPIMB-AR Rev. 1.02A
Mfg. Date 6-14-2012

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this a brand name system and if so what is the make and model. I can look up the specs using that.

Advertisements

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
It is a Gateway DX4870-UB21P; P/N DT.GDDAA.004

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
According to the specs on the motherboard located HERE on Gateways site thta motherboard only has SATA controllers which means the only way to connect it would be to get a SATA to IDE adapter for both the power and controller.
Those adapters look like the below.

Power:

Controller:

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Thank you very much! All is not lost! Hopefully at this point I can get the old XP computer to boot up to prevent a 70 mile drive to get these adapters, but if nessesary, I will. As I stated at the beginning of this thread the info on this storage HD is videos and music. The "C" drive in this old computers holds contact info, documents and warrenty receipts. I desparetly need the info on the old computer. Thanks again for your help!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can continue here if you wish. If the XP system will not boot up you can use the Linux Live cd to access the drive if the drive mechanically is working.
Since you will be running from the Linux Live cd you won't have to worry about the OS booting.

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
You are too kind! Here is the post that I just made in the XP section:

My computer will not boot up. I am running Windows XP Pro. When I hit the power button the Gateway logo comes up, followed by a Norton go-back screen that has a scroll bar running from the right to the left very quickly and it reads "Hit space bar to repair problems or see other boot problems". When you hit the space bar a black screen comes up with white letters that reads

GoBack internal error
failure code: gb_ui_support(1147)
Press any key to reboot...

If you do not hit the space bar as soon as the scroll bar gets to the left side it reboots itself anyway.
This sequence runs in one continuous circle.

I badly need this computer to reboot so I can save the info in it. Can this be corrected?

Do I need to go back and delete the post that I made in the XP section so it won't be duplicated?