Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't insert midi file to PowerPoint 2003

• Please log in to reply

peicheng

peicheng

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried Insert-Movies and Sounds-Sound from File to insert a midi file. PowerPoint 2003 gives me the error message: "PowerPoint cannot insert a sound from the selected file. Verify that the path and file format are correct, and then try again."

The path is correct. And I can use Windows Media Player to play that midi file. But I just can't insert it into my PowerPoint presentation. Please help! :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Look at the workaround here

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;884175

peicheng

peicheng

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you very much for the help.

The workaround says:

"To play a media clip, such as a sound clip, a video clip, or a MIDI sequence in PowerPoint, follow these steps:

1. On the Insert menu, click Movies and Sounds, and then click Movies from file or Sounds from file.

If you choose Sounds from file, you can insert a sound or MIDI sequence. If you click Movies from file, you can insert a video clip.
2. Locate the media clip, and then click Open....."

But my problem is not the playing. I can't even insert the file. After I clip Open in step 2, PowerPoint gives me the error message {PowerPoint cannot insert a sound from the selected file. Verify that the path and file format are correct, and then try again}

Therefore I can never go on to the next step.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Someone else posted about embedding sound and it seems you can only do this with wav, have you tried another format to see if you still get the same error

peicheng

peicheng

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I already checked those posts about embedding the wav file. I believe my problem is not related to that. Those posts are discussing the matter occurs after you put a "speaker" button in a slide (which means you already inserted a sound file). Then PowerPoint will either "embed" a wav file or link any other sound format that is larger than 100 kb by default. I can insert a wave file to my presentation without problem.

I think I can only put an external link in the slide to play that midi file.

I just can't figure out why my PowerPoint 2003 behaves like this???

Thank you for your response anyway.

OzAndy

OzAndy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi long time since you asked about this. I had the same problem and found this topic. I also found a solution -

I moved the midi file i could not insert and a wma file I could insert but would not play to another directory, reinserted them and they worked fine.

So move the media files and reinsert.