Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with boot.tidserv removal - reformatting

• Please log in to reply

Kuripi

Kuripi

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

I recently got this virus on my computer. I sought out help from the forum for this problem and am sort of stuck at this stage in the process. Here's what we've done so far: http://www.geekstogo...09#entry2256909

The Malware Removal forum found a zero access rootkit that creates a hidden partition on the hard drive, about 2mb in size. My sibling had gotten impatient. My computer was reset to factory settings. My OS was originally Vista. Then upgraded to Windows 8 thinking that this may fix it. However, the partition is still there. I was advised that factory reset doesn't remove the hidden partition, only reformatting and resetting does. =.=

I was advised to come here to get help on reformatting to have the hidden partition removed and re-installing Windows 8. I have all my files backed up already from the initial factory reset and have the code for my Windows 8.

My computer is a HP Pavilion Elite e9180f desktop running on 64-bit.

Thank you.

Edit: Researching and reading up on similar cases, I came across Gparted, to delete the partition. I haven't done anything yet but I'm wondering if this is a possible solution.

Edit #2: I went through the process with a friend that works as an IT and the problem has been resolved. This topic can be closed. Thanks.

Edited by Kuripi, 02 February 2013 - 01:41 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Glad you got it sorted and thanks for the follow up :thumbsup: