Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7 Intermittent speed up, slow down, speed ...

• Please log in to reply

Randy2345

Randy2345

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,
My computer has an intermittent problem of running fast, slow, fast, slow, fast … shutdown. The speed is manifested in sound (the computer fan?) and a cpu usage meter which can go to 100%; The high %age correlates with the sound. I just discovered that disk access is (at the moment) fluctuating between 0% and 100% every second or so. Any help in resolving this acceleration problem?

Computer details: Aspire M1100 with 32 bit MS Windows 7 Home Premium, Version 6.1, Service Pack 1. Processor AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 4400+. 2300 Mhz. RAM 6.0; Total Physical Memory 3.0 GB: Available Physical Memory 1.52 GB; Total Virtual Memory 6.0 GB; Available Virtual Memory 3.83 GB; Page File Space 3.0 GB
Image Statistics: Kernal CPU % User CPU %
Idle 73% 0%
Rundll32.exe 6% 1%
Perfmon.exe 3% 2%
TOTAL: 94%
Files causing most disk I/Os: C:\pagefile.sys 1.6/sec.
Memory-- Committed bytes: Mean 2.377 billion; Maximum 3.284 billion

Windows Diagnostics gives numerous reports of each of the following error codes: 100, 101, 200, 201, 302, and 351. Less frequently reported are 103, 108, 303, 500 and 501.

The computer frequently accelerates upon startup of a browser (Chrome, Firefox or IExplorer). Upon startup there is a report of failure to install something. I believe it is Avast Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport #752 and #758. This detail could be wrong as Avast reports that its firewall is working.

In Chrome, I usually have between 10-20 tabs open but the situation also occurs in the other browsers with only one tab open.

I’ve previously run CC Cleaner and Malware Bytes Anti Malware as well as Avast Full System Scan and Microsoft’s Malicious Software Removal Tool, all without finding any problem.

My computer has now gone almost four hours as I prepared this, without accelerating. On other occasions it accelerates from startup.
HELP will be most appreciated.
Rand2345

Advertisements