Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Admin issues and IE 9 failure to install

• Please log in to reply

DeBugVicki

DeBugVicki

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok..I'm a new user here, so if I make any faux pas, my apologies. I sometimes get told by my lap top with Vista that I don't have sufficient permissions to do things, such as delete IE 8, which doesn't show up on my 'uninstall' list either. I saw a previous thread on here from 2008 and tried the remedy that was suggested of going to the command prompt and typing in net user administrator/active:yes. I did not get a confirmation, I got some other blather. I even tried it with and without spaces. I have a screen shot I shall try and add. The whole reason I am checking this is because I keep trying to install IE 9 and it always fails to complete. I have tried the fixit utility Microsoft provides, and it claims it finds a problem and fixes it, but whatever it does, it doesn't allow me to install IE 9. The fixit never tells me what it finds, either. Additionally, I had installed IE 9 once before, and decided I hated it, and went back to 8. Now, however, I am confronted with too many incompatibilities on various sites, and want to try 9 again. I also use Google Chrome. Any idea what in the heck I can do to fix this? What a bother!screen shot.jpg

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Syntax error. Put a space between Administrator and /active.

All that does is enable the hidden Administrator account so you can login to Administrator when you boot to Safe mode.