Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 7 is not booting up

• Please log in to reply

fani

fani

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi,

I have a computer (self built and enhanced over time) with dual booting into Windows XP and Windows 7. MOBO is ASUS P5K-VM. Windows XP is on an IDE drive and Windows 7 on a SATA hard drive. A bit slow but worked fine.

The PC now gives a boot0:error when I try to boot into Windows 7 but windows XP works fine. I replaced the battery on mobo, copied the SATA hard drive image onto another sata drive but the error persists. Windows 7 installation disk is not able to repair the MBR. Since the drive image is from about 3 months earlier, I dont want to overwrite the files unless it is the last resort. Have lots of family pictures on it.

The disk image was created using EaseUS, which is also not able to repair the MBR. So basically, I am not able to boot into Windows 7.

I am, however, able to copy the files off the original SATA drive onto a portable drive.

Any suggestions on fixing the PC are appreciated.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
There are some rather weird things going on here Fani.

Are you changing the boot order on start up when wanting to run either XP or Windows 7?

It seems you are trying to repair the image for some reason when you should be running a startup repair on the main Win 7 installation on the sata drive.

fani

fani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi Wolfeymole,

Thanks for helping me out.

I wasnt trying to do anything when the problems first started. I wanted to boot up the PC one day and got the boot0:error message and then I tried a bunch of things.

Anyway, the latest is that, I put in the installation disk for windows 7 and did

x:\boot bootsect /nt60 all

and now the pc is booting into windows 7 (by default) and XP as an option.

However, the booting process can be speeded up and any inputs for this would be welcome. I also have a legacy OS X option in dual (or triad) booting which I want to delete as the OS X operating system has been removed in its entirety.

Fani

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Some questions.

Why did you not state that you were running a Hackintosh environment?

What exactly is written on the copy of Windows 7 that you have or, to be more precise, is it a disk from a friend or one that has been downloaded from a P2P site?

If it is a legitimate copy then why have you not done a startup repair?

fani

fani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi Wolfeymole,

First of all, let me assure you that all the stuff that I have on my PC is legit. I actually work in a univ and get all software at ridiculously cheap prices. It makes eminent sense to buy the cheap software than use any pirated stuff.

Second, I had a legit OS X on my PC but have removed it. I modified the OS X using various kexts to make it work on my configuration. The hard disk which used to house it has since been formatted and OS X has not been installed again. So I only have legit XP and 7 on my PC right now (rather for more than a year).

As I mentioned in my previous post, I did use my 7 installation disk to repair the MBR but it is not completely fixed. OS X shows as one of the boot up options even though I deleted the OS X. Now when I insert the 7 installation disk, I do not get the option to get into command prompt to fix the MBR. The disk sees a copy of the windows 7 and insists on restoring it ( dont see the logic how it sees the installed 7 as a disk copy and wants to restore itself). The disk image that I have is on an external hard drive which is not connected to the PC.

If I boot into safe mode / command prompt through windows 7, then of course the disk is locked and cannot fix the MBR.

Hope this gives you the complete picture of the situation.

Fani

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
The OS X may have been legitimate but it would still have been against the Apple EULA to install it on any non branded Apple device.

I suggest you have a read of this article that is concerned with doing a repair install which will leave your personal stuff intact and just replace the system files.

http://www.sevenforu...ir-install.html