Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Programs keep crashing, Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

TMayfi

TMayfi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Ran TFC as well - ran just fine and restarted the computer automatically, but still froze up after I got to the main screen of Windows, so I had to power down and restart again in safe mode.

I also checked the programs at start up, that's all good.

I do not have a Windows installation disk for this laptop, it was put together for me by a family member. I also do not have system restore disks... let me know if I can make system restore disks, etc and I will get it done.

Thanks again!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Nothing listed in Autoruns that would cause this.

Couple of things you should try first before going the long route of creating a disk (this should be done when we are done with this issue)

In case of a driver issue run DriverMax and see if any updates are suggested http://www.innovativ....com/drivermax/ things to note about DriverMax are you can only download two drivers a day for free, before you install any new drivers let us know what is suggested first and uncheck the "install AVG toolbar" box and choosing the Custom Installation

http://windows.micro...d-Configuration

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

TMayfi

TMayfi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Driver Max screenshots for you:
screenshot2.jpg
screenshot3.jpg
screenshot4.jpg

TMayfi

TMayfi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I will run the other 2 when I get home from work - sorry the driver max didn't fit in one screenshot... still running in safe mode and everything is gigantic. :cool: Thanks again for all the help you are giving me!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Download and install the video driver which is first on the list and the Ultra ATA Storage Controller which is the second to last entry on page three, let us know how this goes when you can.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

TMayfi

TMayfi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi again!

Did the restart with the last known good configuration - when it rebooted, still had the same problem where I get to the main windows screen and can't do anything but power down with the power switch.

Attempted to install both the drivers you requested - they downloaded fine, but after 2 tries, they both say "installation failed on Sunday..."

And finally, the system file checker ran, screenshot for you -
screenshot5.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi TMayf, sorry for the delay getting back to you.

Have you backed up all important data while in Safe Mode, if not can you do so before doing the following please.

Go to Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y

If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for an hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Thanks to RonShaffer61 for the above instructions :thumbsup:

TMayfi

TMayfi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Ok... so there is some bad news...

I ran it as requested, and an error message popped up. I am at a different house right now, but I was afraid to shut down the computer in the middle, as you warned bad juju could happen. It stopped after about 30 minutes, and has been on the same screen since, black screen with some ref codes of numbers and letters. It has not restarted, and it's been about 17 hours... so I'm guessing it should have finished by now. I can post what those are if you want them after I got get my laptop from my place. I am currently housesitting and have access to the internet here, thank goodness.

Let me know what you'd like me to do. Thanks again!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The information would be helpful but can I ask if there was any reference to bad sectors on the HDD in the on screen text.

TMayfi

TMayfi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I think something even more bad happened during transport...

The original message that I was able to write down was:
USN journal verification completed
The disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters detected in file 3493 of name .
An unspecified error occurred
6e74667363686b2e b34
766f6c756d652e63 3f1
unable to set chkdsk ran once flag

But after I ran home and picked it up and opened it up here, now it is asking if I want to launch startup repair (recommended) or start windows normally, then it goes to where it says windows is loading files, and then brings up a box for system recovery options with a box that say use recovery tools that can help fix problem starting windows, but there is no OS listed in the box so it says restore your computer using a system image that you created earlier, except windows cannot find a system image on the computer.

I'm thinking that's not a good thing since I don't have the windows disks? :upset:

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Your options are shown to be limited now I`m afraid as you either have a corrupt/damaged operating system which will need an OS disk to repair/reinstall or a bad HDD which needs to be replaced which again will also require an OS disk for a fresh install, unless you choose a free OS such as Linux/Ubuntu.

I previously asked;

Have you backed up all important data while in Safe Mode,

Let us know the answer please as we need to address this before we proceed.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Don't you think that there is a possibility of memory (RAM) problem? You might have to use the Windows Memory Diagnostic program as a solution to memory issue. More diagnostic details and steps are given here. Below are the steps to run Windows Memory Diagnostic:

1. Click Start, type "memory" in the Search Box.
2. Click "Windows Memory Diagnostic" from the Search Results.
3. Click "Restart now and check for problems".

:spam: