Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Files on DVD won't show up when I open the drive folder but proper

• Please log in to reply

SallyMae

SallyMae

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
Topic title pretty much says it all. When I open the folder to the DVD drive my burned files are not showing. I get just two files in the que to be burned. However, when I check the properties it clearly shows the DVD disk is full of my files. How do I get my files to show up in the folder view again.

Edited by SallyMae, 03 February 2013 - 02:31 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
How are you burning the files to DVD, what program are you using. Are you finalizing the DVD (closing it)?

SallyMae

SallyMae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
I'm not sure how the files were burned originally or how the "finalizing" you are asking about was accomplished. I do know that when I looked at the files on the DVD on my computer a few days ago, they were there. The disk had some video files and some jpeg files on it. When I load the disk into the drive of my computer now, for some reason the jpeg files show up in the dvd drive folder but the video files do not. I know this seems like a odd question but is it at all possible for any registry settings to determine what kind of files show up in the dvd drive folder? Any settings that might affect the driver information in the registry I guess is what I was wondering about. That was the only thing I could think of that might have happened to prevent me from seeing what is on the actual disk. Like I said, I know the files were present when I opened the dvd drive folder a few days ago. The disk is a dvd-r, although the drive dvd-rw.

Um, btw, just out of curiosity, just because a disk says it is dvd-r, does that mean it absolutely cannot be erased and re-written or does that just mean it's optimized for dvd-r only? Anyway, thanks for any help you can give.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
DVD-R cannot be erased. If the disc has been finalized (closed) then it cannot be written to. If not then it can have additional files/folders added to it until it fills up.

Normally you have to finalize (close) the DVD before it can be read on a computer other than the one it was created one, though not always.

Can you try the disc on another computer, see if you can read it there?

SallyMae

SallyMae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
I will try the disk on another computer first chance I get and then I will get back with you. I have had quite a busy schedule and am now in the midst of getting a it snowed in. Soon as i can i will get back. Thanks for your efforts thus far. ;)

bertstare

bertstare

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys,

I have the exact same problem. I backed up my files onto a DVD-RW because my hard drive failed and then now with my new hard drive, when I insert the CD into the computer, nothing shows up, even though it says "56mb free of 2gb", so obviously there are files in there... anyone know how to make the files show?

bertstare

bertstare

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Please respond