Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

startup repair loop; windows 7 32 bit - no working F8 options

• Please log in to reply

hastingsmike

hastingsmike

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Greetings;

I am running windows 7 32 bit on an Acer aspire 4810TZ with RAM upgraded to 4gig. I have no known malware issues, however when the system was running 12 hours ago it WAS running sluggish. I am running AVG Free antivirus and had no alerts.

When I try to boot it up it goes into the Windows Error Recovery DOS screen with only two options: Startup Repair or Start Windows Normally. When I try to start windows normally, as soon as the windows logo animation appears, a blue screen very briefly flashes (So brief I can't read the message). I am then looped back to the original error recovery screen with the same two options. If I select Startup Repair, the process runs through loading files, then goes to a greyed out microsoft corporation loading graphic (similar to vista startup), then to a black screen with a single whit arrow that can actually be moved via the trackpad. It will sit in this mode indefinitely until hard reboot. I have inserted my windows disc to attempt to boot from restore point or reinstall, however despite boot sequence starting with CDROM, it appears to not recognize the CD. Ultimately need to preserve some data that is in there and has not been backed up yet.

I have read through several forums and found Essexboy helped someone with a very similar issue in the following post:

http://www.geekstogo...up-repair-loop/

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Advertisements

Botervloot

Botervloot

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Can you pleas download and install Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware when you did this choose for update and run an quick scan. Post the logfile in your next topic.

Good luck!

hastingsmike

hastingsmike

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the quick response! Pardon my ignorance, but how would I scan the problem computer with the recommended software when I cannot boot at all? Should I try this from a flash drive? Please advise.

Thanks again.

Botervloot

Botervloot

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hey,

Can you not enter the computer in Safe Mode? If no, what error do you get?
You talk about a blue screen, do you mean a Blue Screen Of Dead (BSOD)? If yes, can you make a picture of it and attach it in your next response?

Thank you!

hastingsmike

hastingsmike

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I cannot enter in any mode offered in the F8 menu;
repair your computer
safe mode
safe mode w/ networking
safe mode with CP
enable boot logging
enable low resolution video
last known good config.
directory services restore mode
debugging mode
disable automatic restart
disable driver signature enforcement
start windows normally
- all end up looping me back to the error recovery screen after the windows boot logo and my ACER bios screen appear. The blue screen is not the traditional BSOD, it is just a quick flash on the screen that barely registers inbetween the windows boot logo and ACER screen.

Botervloot

Botervloot

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I have no ideas, sorry.

I think you can get beter help here: http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

hastingsmike

hastingsmike

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for trying.

Botervloot

Botervloot

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
You're welcome, good luck with it!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I have taken this in the security forum :)