Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing Blocked URLs detected by AVAST Web Shield [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

ehin

ehin

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I'm running Avast and it happened upon a URL flagged as a "threat" and Avast Web Shield dutifully kicks in and blocks it. Great, it performed exactly and excellently as expected.

It (the URL in question) gets logged into Avast's shield log as a "blocked" URL.

Because Avast has flagged the URL as a threat, Windows Browsers (supported by Avast) cannot access the URL anymore (I imagine because Avast uses low-level Browser/Winsock hooks to block it)

However, the URL is part of an internal network and the "threat" initially posed by that "bad" URL is resolved and is non-existent anymore, or the problem gets resolved on that URL (host).

I need access to that URL again.

Of course, I know I can always set a WEB SHIELD EXCLUSION ENTRY to allow access to the URL again, but I am loathe to do so as the threat (or a new one) may reappear in the future, and having an exclusion exposes my system unnecessarily.

So the question: How to remove or clear URLs / sites detected by Web Shield --> i.e., specific URLs listed on the Web Shield log, and thereby removing its permanent block by Avast?

Doing this will lift the permanent block imposed by Avast, but since it is not in the EXCLUSION LIST, it (the URLs removed from the list) would still be subject to future Web Shield scans by Avast, maintaining the excellent protection afforded by Avast.

Many thanks.

Glenn
avast! Free Antivirus V 7.0.1474 Definitions 130207-1

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi could you post a screenshot of the Avast popup alert

If it is on a closed network then:

You could report a possible FP here: http://www.avast.com....php?loadStyles and ask for a domain exclusion from the general IP block,

However there is a possibility that there is an infection, I use Avast and generally I find that web shield is 100% accurate for bad sites

Does this happen with all computers that try to access that URL or just yours ?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.