Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformatting hard drive

• Please log in to reply

transit

transit

• PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
HI Team of Geek.

I trying to format my Hard drive, C: have another local D: but I want to format C:, I have the CD Window 7, and I starting trying to format the hard drive when I can not find the DVD-rom in Bios, just said;
1 onboard floppy drive (not present)
2 Bootble hard drive
3 onboard CD-rom drive
4 non-integrated nic
5 usb fdd
6 usb cdrom
7 usb device

Ps. I can use onboard CD-rom drive like a dvd-rom and change it to the computer boot from the CD-rom?

so I installed window 7 thinking that in the process maybe be an option that said format, but no the software what did was install window 7 with no other option.
yes I have the original window 7 software and the product key. this is a second hand computer, I buy it from a friend, but I can not change the name of the owner before, if I do so the computer tell that that something can't be found, and I want to start fresh with this computer. thank for any help that someone can give me

transit.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Change the primary boot order in the bios to cdrom first and the hard drive as second.

Before you press F10 to Save the Settings and Exit put the win 7 disk in the optical drive.

Press F10, it will ask if you are sure, press Yes.

The screen will go dark and then you will see the message "Press any key to boot from cd".

Press any key and the install will begin.

You will see this message again on subsequent reboots, PRESS NOTHING, but simply let it carry on installing.

Read this tutorial carefully especially Page 10 where you need to go into Drive Options (Advanced) to delete all other partitions.

http://pcsupport.abo...tall-part-1.htm

transit

transit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Hi wolfeymole,

sorry your answer was in my spam folder in my e-mail, yes thanks for the information that you give to resolve my problem. I will try to do so what you suggest in your answer, and let you post how I did.. thanks you for you help... appreciate

transit.

transit

transit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Hi, wolf

Thanks again to try to help me with this, now I get this situation, sorry but I never format a hard drive before, now the computer is asking me; where do you to install windows?

and give me these 3 option but highlight the middle one: here the are,

Disk 0 partition 1 39.0 MB 32.0 MB OEM reserved

Disk 0 partition 2 l0.0 GB 9.9 GB Primary, I guessing this one is local disc D: and open it in my computer and is empty there...

Disk 0 partition 3 139.0 GB 102.3 GB System

I guess the middle one is the D: local disc and the third one is my hard drive C: I don't know what is the first one, do you can tell me what is it?

So my question now is, if I format the hard drive I no have to choose one and let the computer decide or I have to delete them and the computer do the rest? or what step I have to do... what you suggest ?

Thanks you

Ps. how you see I follow your instruction and manage to do what you said, I found the format option and I read the link that you suggest but I don't know what to do in this case hope you forget me.
Transit

Edited by transit, 09 February 2013 - 04:13 PM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

So my question now is, if I format the hard drive I no have to choose one and let the computer decide or I have to delete them and the computer do the rest? or what step I have to do... what you suggest ?

Delete all 3 partitions which will then leave you with 1 partition that you can install Windows 7 to.

Ignore any warnings about system files will be erased if you do this.

transit

transit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Hey,Wolf.

Just to said, thank you so much for you help, I manage to do what you said with no problem.

Thank you again for you help.

Transit.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
That's good to hear Transit and thank you for letting us know. :thumbsup: