Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overheating CPU, how hot is too hot?

• Please log in to reply

Mykk

Mykk

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have an Intel i5 2400 4-core processor, GForce GTX 570 Graphics and 8MB of RAM and a Coolermaster HYper 612S CPU cooler.

With my flight sim running nice and smoothly and the CPU working hard the temp climbs quickly and within a couple of minutes I receive a high CPU temp warning of above 72 degrees C. The temperature stabilises at just over 80 degrees. Should I be concerned and should the cooler be working more efficiently? Is water cooling a better bet?

Thanks

Mick

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Mykk, Posted Image

Max Temperature: 72.6°C; Max TDP: 95W, so yes, I would get worried. Keeping the CPU under 60C is good.

Did you have the stock cooler fitted first? if yes, do you completely clean all the old thermal paste from the CPU?
Did you make sure new thermal paste was applied?

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Is the inside of your case/fans/heat sink dust free.......?

Mykk

Mykk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the prompt reply.

My PC came with the cooler installed and I haven't touched it since. I do suspect however that it has not been correctly done.

Should the cooler be giving better performance?

Veeg, the case and components are free of dust.

Thanks again

Mykk

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Looks like the owner before yo has fitted an after market cooler which should perform better than the original. Here is a review for it. > http://www.techradar...s-997108/review

You would note the comments about removing/installing the unit.
Before working on the computer, switch of at the wall socket and the PSU. Open the case and take anti static measure by briefly touching a bare unpainted part of the computer case.
Have look at the lead from the fan, (should be connected to CPU fan header on the MB) if there is a little in-line adaptor fitted, try taking it out and then plug the 4 pin plug into the CPU fan socket.

Do you know if the rig is over-clocked?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
You may be able to find other videos like this. interesting method, don't know what the installation instruions method is you would only have to undo the 4 underside screws, clean, apply paste and re assemble.
>

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
One thing I notice from people using those kind of coolers is that often they place the fan in the wrong direction, so instead of the air pushing towards the cooler it sucks the air out so make sure it is in the right direction.

One other option if it is not already your case is to have 2 fans, one blowing air on the cooler and the other blowing it out, that makes for a far better air circulation (more noisy) and should cool it nicely.

Make sure the fan pushing air on your cooler is on the side of the ram and the fan pulling air out is on the side of the back of your case.

Edited by Alzeimer, 09 February 2013 - 11:00 AM.

Mykk

Mykk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks all,

Thanks for the Review jammykyl; the Cooler should clearly be performing better than it is.

As it requires the MoBo to be removed to do the job I will get the cooler re-installed professionally and accept the financial hit.

BTW the rig is not overclocked.

Thanks to all again

Mykk

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
At least with a pro, if they don't get it right first time, you can take it back. Get them to re install using one fan to start with, see what temps are achievable, as Alzeimer observes, 2 fans can be very noisy.

Please let us know the results.

Mykk

Mykk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks all. I have 2 case fans fitted and I have checked the fans are blowing in the right direction so suspect a poor cooler installation.

Mykk

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Have you managed yet to find a pro to reinstall the CPU for you?

Mykk

Mykk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm going to be busy and away for the next month so it will have to wait till then.

Thanks to all again

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
OK. thanks for the update, post when you are ready.

Mykk

Mykk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well, I finally got round to it.

I removed the Cooler and on the contact plate noticed a little plastic tag sticking out from underneath the thermic paste? I cleaned off the paste and found a plastic protective cover stuck on to the contact plate. On the tab were the words "Warning - Remove this tab prior to installation"!!!!!!!!!

No wonder the bloody thing was overheating.

I re-pasted, re-installed and lo and behold even on the highest graphics setting I can't even reach 50 degrees!!!!!

Problem solved but who would have thought that could happen!!!

Thanks to all anyway for helping out.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

Thank you very much for posting your update. Great the problem is solved, good detective work.

It is easy to make a mistake, especially if you have done it 50 times before. Always best to have a check and tick list.