Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XMG Schenker vs Alienware vs Digital Storm

• Please log in to reply

SHIROIRAKUEN

SHIROIRAKUEN

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Alright lads, please help me on this one. I am thinking of buying a gaming laptop & am currently undecided between 3 choices. Now, I want as many opinions as possible & would like to know 3 things from each & everyone of you.

Which one is the best spec wise?

Which one is the best spec/price wise?

I want to previously thank all who will do this experiment for me in advance. Thank you. :thumbsup:

Be mindful of the prices in euros & dollars.

Here they are :

ALIENWARE M17x :

3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM (6MB Cache, up to 3.4GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0)

Windows 8, 64-bit, English

8GB (2 X 4GB) Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz

500GB 7,200 RPM SATA 3Gb/s

2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon™ HD 7970M DEDICATED

Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 With Bluetooth 4.0

Slot-Loading Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+-RW, CD-RW)

17.3-inch WideFHD 1920 x 1080 60Hz WLED

1 year warranty

FOR A TOTAL OF : 1824€ NO SHIPPING COST

Edited by SHIROIRAKUEN, 11 February 2013 - 06:28 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
2nd and 3rd option has a very small drive and since you are buying this for a gaming system you free space is going to be very limited.

Though SSD is much faster I would suggest a larger HD or you may be in a position where you are having to uninstall a game to install a game.

My personal choice would be your first option since it has a 500 gig hd or the other option would be to purchase a external 500 gig hd and install your games to that if you want the 120 gig SSD hd for the OS only.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Been looking for an alternative that had the best of all 3 http://www.novatech....eliten1716.html may be worth a look.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good find Phill with the two drives the SSD can be the OS drive and the 1tb drive for everything else. NICE :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks Ron - I hope that it is what SHIROIRAKUEN is looking for :thumbsup:

SHIROIRAKUEN

SHIROIRAKUEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thank you shaffer & phill for the amazing answers. :thumbsup:

"or you may be in a position where you are having to uninstall a game to install a game. " Yes, I would definitely not want that.

Great find phill! :notworthy: LOL & I thought I had searched everything already :P

Hhhmmm let me try one last thing guys, let me revise each one's hard drive options, then, I'll call each one of them to see which one has a dedicated GPU & which one hasn't & then we'll be rdy to make the final decision. :yes:

SHIROIRAKUEN

SHIROIRAKUEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
There is a slight problem though... There was no operating system included yet, so the price is now 1360 pounds which is 1607€, which is still not bad at all... :happy:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Are you sure as I read it as having Windows 8.

Operating System
If you do not own a licensed Operating System to install on your laptop but would like one, choose from one of the available options below.
No Operating System Required
[Included in price]

Some info on the GPU http://www.notebookc...0M.72675.0.html

SHIROIRAKUEN

SHIROIRAKUEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yeah nevermind... also, reduced RAM to 8Gb 2 sticks for a lower price of 1474€.

Now all I need is to know which ones have dedicated graphic cards :happy:

SHIROIRAKUEN

SHIROIRAKUEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Although smthg smells fishy with this last one... It doesn't talk about a wifi card anywhere... :confused:

:no:

Advertisements

SHIROIRAKUEN

SHIROIRAKUEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hey shaffer, there is the option for the digital storm laptop to have a secondary hard drive. Should I consider that option?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Always worth trying as long as it doesn't increase the price over your budget. Let me know the specs and price once you try it.

SHIROIRAKUEN

SHIROIRAKUEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Well... I wouldn't even try it if u could tell me what is the point of having 2, instead of a single good one?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I myself run 3 OS's on 3 different partitions. All my programs and games are installed on another drive so I don't lose the data in case the OS drive fails.
In your case for games your games and corresponding data would be safe if you lost your OS drive. You would still have to reinstall the game but the data could be backed up so any saved games would not be lost.

SHIROIRAKUEN

SHIROIRAKUEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Just called Novatech. The laptop u found phill did not have a dedicated graphic card & the last unit was sold today(or yesterday) so that actually is good bcz it reduces the options I have left.

We are getting close :happy:

PS : made the appropriate changes in the OP