Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard and Mouse freezing up.

• Please log in to reply

J4ke483

J4ke483

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey, I have been having a problem within the last month with my keyboard and mouse keep freezing up, I did some research others have had problems too. I tried plugging them into different ports and also a power USB, this did nothing. I know it's only the keyboard and mouse that keep freezing up because I can still talk to my friends via Teamspeak. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: J4ke483

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

Provide the keyboard and mouse details for us also if you will please.

J4ke483

J4ke483

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ah yes my information was quite vague. Well it's a Desktop PC,
custom built:
i5-2500K @ 3.30GHz
8 GB ram
64- bit operating system (win 7)
GTX 570
PSU: PPA7000904, ocz700sxs2.

Keyboard:
ASDA HK3014 Multimedia Keyboard

Mouse:
Logitech MX518 Optical Gaming Mouse

All the info you need ( I think) sorry about brief info earlier)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
No worries and thanks for the info :thumbsup:

First of all I have to ask an obvious question - have you tried replacing the batteries.

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop information :thumbsup:

J4ke483

J4ke483

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25233122

That is the table, hope this helps.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
From my reply #2

First of all I have to ask an obvious question - have you tried replacing the batteries.

What is the answer please.

The first thing of note is the amount of free space that you have on your C: drive, on a W7 system you should always have between 20 and 25% of the overall storage capacity available as free space to allow for important updates, if you do not have this you risk corrupting the OS and in a worse case scenario the HDD can fail mechanically.

What is on the C: drive please.

Go to Start then to Run/Search
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply.
Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

J4ke483

J4ke483

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
First of all I have to ask an obvious question - have you tried replacing the batteries?

Nope I have not, I am not sure what you mean by this (sorry) do you mean batteries on the mouse and keyboard? if yes I have not replaced them.

J4ke483

J4ke483

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
There is the file, sorry.

Attached Thumbnails

• Printscreen.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Yes the batteries in the keyboard and mouse if they are the battery types, batteries are not of the quality that they used to be I`m afraid.

Time to tidy up the data on your HDD, please follow the directions provided below starting with Autoruns http://technet.micro...ernals/bb963902

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
6: Attach to your next reply.

2nd: Download and run TFC from http://www.geekstogo...ds&showfile=187 your computer should automatically re-boot on completion but if not do it manually.

3rd: Defrag your HDD http://www.auslogics...re/disk-defrag/ a tidy drive is a faster drive, please note that I am not suggesting that you use any other product or service at the link.
Couple of other things to consider are what size HDD do you have and how much free storage space is available, you should always have between 12 and 15% of the overall capacity available, do not have more than 1 AV program running as it causes slowness as the programs fight for control of system resources, this can lead to instability and/or crashes.

To speed up your boot times find any unnecessary programs linked to start up "how to" below;

START -> RUN
type MSCONFIG in the RUN box
then click OK

Click on the start-up TAB

Look at each line that has a check in the box, these are start-up items, with the exception of Windows programs and your anti virus software uncheck the ones you do not want to run at start-up.

I will go through the rest of the PCPitstop results meanwhile.

J4ke483

J4ke483

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Nope I have not replaced the batteries, I don't think they're battery types.

1) I think I have done the link (not sure if correct)?

2) Defrag is done, defragging now :)

3) I have also done the MS-config part all done, Thanks!

Attached Files

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
If the keyboard and/or mouse have a battery they will have a removable cover on the base of them, can you check this.

I notice the presence of uTorrent on your list of software, are you aware of the potential for malware attack when downloading torrents, this could be what is causing the issue so you may need the help of the experts over on the malware forums.

Can`t read your autoruns file did you save it as txt

J4ke483

J4ke483

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
My keyboard and mouse do not have a removable battery cover on them.

I must admit I do download somethings I cannot view in the UK, or on my TV but I do make sure that they're safe, through websites like Torlock where people test these before releasing them. But I have done a full scan and nothing has been found. :/

J4ke483

J4ke483

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
also yes I did save autorun as a .txt file. :/

J4ke483

J4ke483

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I don't know what you did but this seemed to have stopped freezing completely, it does it for a couple of seconds, and not as frequently!!!! this is great news, unless coincidence but good so far! Just wondering what improved it? :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
It is most likely the result of freeing up some space on your HDD.

Please run TFC and Autoruns again for us and hopefully this time we will be able to read the Autoruns log; http://technet.micro...ernals/bb963902

6: Attach to your next reply.