Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compaq CQ40 gets stuck just by touching a specific area

• Please log in to reply

hihassan

hihassan

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi,

I have 3 years old Compaq cq40, had a lot of problems which I sorted out but I can't sort out the cause of this very problem.

Whenever I touch the area highlighted in red, it gets stuck and have to re-start it again.

Posted Image

I searched a lot but couldn't find anything of this sort.

Any help is much appreciated :-)

Thanks.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I know you said

Whenever I touch the area highlighted in red

touch, but do you really mean TOUCH or PRESS

Either way I think, despite our desire to help, that this problem will not be solved without a partial dismantling of the laptop - a Compaq Presario I think.

You will see from the link below, that underneath area you are indicating is the wiring to various leds for the drive activity etc, whether or not one of these is shorting I have no idea. MAY I ssue a word of caution if you are not familiar with dismantling laptops, please do not try. Not least of your problems are many plastic clips that secure parts, easily broken.

http://www.google.co...jKkjhNvy4RXPu6w

Edited by Macboatmaster, 12 February 2013 - 02:36 PM.

hihassan

hihassan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

I know you said

Whenever I touch the area highlighted in red

touch, but do you really mean TOUCH or PRESS

Either way I think, despite our desire to help, that this problem will not be solved without a partial dismantling of the laptop - a Compaq Presario I think.

You will see from the link below, that underneath area you are indicating is the wiring to various leds for the drive activity etc, whether or not one of these is shorting I have no idea. MAY I ssue a word of caution if you are not familiar with dismantling laptops, please do not try. Not least of your problems are many plastic clips that secure parts, easily broken.

http://www.google.co...jKkjhNvy4RXPu6w

I got the hdd out and put some transparent tape which works as an insulator on the side of the hdd which touches the top cover (the same highlighted area) and now its working all fine. I hope it stays this way... but yes I meant touch not press, even a touch used to make laptop hang right on the spot...

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
That was quick

OR had you already done it before I posted.

Good luck with it.

hihassan

hihassan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I did before you posted, around 10 mins ago :-D

I never faced anything like this before and this thing was bothering me for so many days, glad its sorted out

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Regards

Good luck

I cannot help wondering why - I suspect the insulation on one of the aforementioned wires.