Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malwarebytes blocking unsolicited outgoing/incoming foreign traffic [S

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

AtomicSG

AtomicSG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Ran the defrag. The C: reference is not showing up in autoruns. Maybe because its unchecked on the spybot list? Is it normal under the everything tab to have a bunch of yellow items saying file not found?

Edit: Should I even be pursuing fixing it at this point or should I just format and start over? (in your opinion)

Edited by AtomicSG, 27 February 2013 - 11:04 PM.

Advertisements

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts
I am not really a fan of spybot, it's rather old and ineffective.

Some of the yellow you are seeing may be due to the fact that the autoruns program is just not seeing the file. That does not mean it's a problem.

If you are thinking of doing a format, that would fix any windows issues, but I would like you to post in the tech forum first, and let one of the techs there have a look at it.
Formatting is using a sludgehammer but sometimes only a scalpel is needed.
But before you do that, let's give this program a shot,

Download Windows Repair (all in one) from here

Install the program then run it.

Go to Step 2 and allow it to run CheckDisk by clicking on Do It button:
Posted Image

When that's finished go on to Step 3 and allow it to run System File Check by clicking on the Do it button
Posted Image

Next move on to Step 4 and click on the Create button under System Restore
Posted Image

Next go to the Start Repairs tab and click on the Start button
Posted Image

Please make sure the following boxes are checked:
Posted Image

Make sure to pause your Anti-Virus before starting the repair, and also select Restart/Shutdown system when finished
and click on Start

Let me know if that helps.

AtomicSG

AtomicSG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Sorry I haven't replied before now. Just moved before I made my original post so everything is still in the air a bit. Still around though, haven't ignored your advice and I plan on pursuing it so please don't close my thread yet.

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts
No problem, I will keep this open for a while longer, just let me know when you are ready to continue.

AtomicSG

AtomicSG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Soooo not sure if this is a problem or not. Combo fix ran again when I tried to uninstall it. I copied the command straight from your post and after going back and looking after it was running I noticed you put a space between the / and uninstall line. (Not blaming you, I should have caught it but I went to do it after just waking up. Just explaining what happened) I remember before you said that if it hung I shouldn't attempt to do it again. I didn't just create any problems I hope?

AtomicSG

AtomicSG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
An interesting behavior to note, after the reboot from combo fix my tray seems to load properly but if I restart after that it goes back to what it has been doing of only loading 3-5 items.

Edit:Spoke too soon. Didn't load entirely properly. Still noticing a thing or 2 not on the tray, but much more loads then normal after running combo fix

Edited by AtomicSG, 06 March 2013 - 06:33 PM.

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts
Correct, there should not be a space between the / and the U - the string should be combofix /uninstall
the text in the graphic is correct. That would be my fault, and I have updated my canned speech for uninstalling it.

I assume that combofix is still installed. Did combofix actually finish, or did it hang and you did a manual reboot?

If it did finish, I would like to see the log, which should be c:\combofix.txt
If it did not finish, it's ok to uninstall it - please paste this into the run box

combofix /uninstall

Did you get to run the tweaking.com program?

AtomicSG

AtomicSG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Unable to do the system file check as it doesn't seem to like my disc.

AtomicSG

AtomicSG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Got the program. Yes, combo fix ran all the way through and I finished uninstalling it and everything else. On the last step of the repair program now.

AtomicSG

AtomicSG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Only didn't post the log becauce PC is busy and I'm posting from my tablet

Advertisements

AtomicSG

AtomicSG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
After the restart initiated by the program it all looked good, then I did a normal restart and again only 5 things loaded into the tray

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts
Ok, that's encouraging that it did start up correctly once.

What programs are you expecting to start up automatically and show in the tray, and which ones are not acting as you expect?
Now about the SFC check failing -
I suspect that the SFC didn't like your disk because your disk is a lower service pack than you now have installed, which is SP3.

Let's make you a slipstreamed SP3 install disk first and then use that when SFC asks for your Windows CD.
There is a great tutorial on how to make a slipstreamed disk here
If you follow that you will end up with an ISO of the Windows CD - you can then use Imgburn to make a CD from the ISO file.

After you create the CD please do the following -

Click on Start > Run
in the Run box type CMD and press enter

At the command prompt type the following
SFC /scannow (note the space after the C and no space after the / )
Insert the newly made Windows CD when prompted.

Let me know if you have better results with SFC now.

AtomicSG

AtomicSG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I would hope for all of them to ideally. Ones id especially like to start seeing again and im not are the nvidia controls and the realtek audio panel. Only ones im seeing in my tray on a regular basis anymore though are avast, malwarebytes, evga precision, WD smartware, and skype (which sometimes doesnt load into the tray). Sometimes I see the control icon for my bluetooth but not normally, there should be one for my router interface software, should also be one for my capture card DVR, should be one for spybot, should be one for my sony camcorder software. Probably others I cant remember offhand but I'd think that would give you some idea. And as far as that tutorial goes, I dont think it will work for me as I don't have an original XP disc. The disc I have was given to me by an IT guy when I bought my laptop off him secondhand and since I never got a disc when my desktop was built I've just used it for both.

Edited by AtomicSG, 07 March 2013 - 07:24 PM.

AtomicSG

AtomicSG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
If you'd like I can try it anyhow but I don't hold a great deal of confidence that it will work.

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts
Is the disk that you have the same version of Windows XP as what is installed? You have Windows XP Professional installed, so the disk needs to be XP pro.
It does not matter if it's not an original disk.