Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unable to update after reinstalling oem xpsp1

• Please log in to reply

jellin

jellin

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey,

I have an older Gateway that I think had came down with a virus. I tried everything I could think of to resolve the issue. I tried taking it apart and reinstalling the hd, ram(x2), drives, graphics card etc... and tried to reboot after each. All attempts to boot (Safe mode, boot from hd etc ... would go to blue screen with various errors. I tried researching bsod error codes for days and was unable to fix. I tried system restore, repair and even a few ideas I found on various posts with no luck. I now have done a complete reinstall of os using oem disks and it seems to have worked ;however, I can't upgrade the browser from ie6 or update the os from sp1 to sp2 or sp3. I go to microsofts website to install sp2 or sp3 and I either get redirected to upgrade your browser page or at a different section of their website I can download but get a "not a valid win32 application" error message. I tried to update the browser and get an error message saying unable to update browser without atleast sp2 installed. A frustrating little catch22 going on here. I can't update browser (ie6) because I don't have atleast sp2 and I can't update sp1 because I have ie6. I have slso tried downloading multiple releases of Firefox. The older versions download and install Firefox 3 (I think) but newer versions tell me I need sp2 to install.

As I mentioned earlier I have an older computer and really need to get a new one but I need to make that one last a bit longer or do some hardware upgrades.

My system: Gateway 500XL Midtower, 266
512 ram - (2) 256mb DDR 333
320g hd - upgrade about 8 months ago, western Digital
nvidea GeForce mx 4000, 128mb DDR PCI version - updated years ago
dvd, cd/rw and floppy

If I can get this to work I could use opinions on whether or not my computer is worth updating. Its kinda on the border I think. I have an open slot for an additional hd, and (4) total slots for ram - (2) with white latches and (2) with black latches. Also any hardware to maximize satellite internet experience, which I will be getting soon.

thanx for your help and opinions,

jellin

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You can download the stand alone SP2 here: Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers.

Get SP3 here: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

You can download the stand alone IE7 here: Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP