Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Office Word 2003 (SP3) question

• Please log in to reply

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can offer a fix, or at least explain what's wrong...

Most times, when I close a Microsoft Office Word 2003 (SP3) document, it partially closes but frequently leaves behind the "shell" (I'm not sure if that is the correct word for it).
See attached picture:

Is there a reason for this being left behind, requiring me to close separately, or is something not working properly?

Cheers,
Wrinkly Pete

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture1.JPG

Advertisements

dm27

dm27

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi Wrinkly Pete,

Closing just the "document" (word, excel, power point, etc) will generally leave the application still open, as your screen shot demonstrates. If you want to close the application completely, use the larger "X" in the upper right hand corner to exit everything.

You could also use the File menu to exit the application also.

Hope that helps...

dm

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Hi Wrinkly Pete,

Closing just the "document" (word, excel, power point, etc) will generally leave the application still open, as your screen shot demonstrates. If you want to close the application completely, use the larger "X" in the upper right hand corner to exit everything.

You could also use the File menu to exit the application also.

Hope that helps...

dm

Hi dm,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I WAS already using the larger (red & white) "X" in the upper right corner! I'm sure it USED TO close everything (once upon a time), but I became aware it wasn't always closing everything a while ago.
More recently, I'd say about 85% of the time it DOESN'T, and I'm left with what appears in the attached picture.

SOMETIMES if I then just hover the cursor over it the application closes, but usually I have to click on it again to get rid of it.

I was wondering if this indicated a known problem and there was a "fix" for it, or if it indicated another problem brewing?

In itself it isn't a major problem, and things could be a lot worse I know, but I'd like to get to the bottom of it if I can.

I was tempted to try the "detect & repair" in the "Help" tab, but don't want to risk anything else or something worse happening. I'm getting on in years and these compooters are a bit beyond me now!

Wrinkly

Edited by Wrinkly Pete, 19 February 2013 - 05:13 PM.