Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hello, hope I'm at the right place...

• Please log in to reply

RJP

RJP

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok, I got an Acer Aspire laptop a little over 2 years ago. Have had it open for a year and a half. Well, after using it a few weeks ago, the right hinge sometimes gets stuck like when opening it like it don't want to open all the way, if I close it and try again it don't do it, I pushed all the way through a few times though, made some cracking sounds. Yikes. My grand father just recently spritzed a little bit of 3 In One oil into the hinges. It hasn't gotten stuck nor crackling sounds, but it kind of gets a bit stiff still. Think it will reoccur? I've been worried sick for 2 weeks, by tomorrow. I'm scared to really touch the laptop cause I have bad OCD with electronic issues. I hear Acer has had these problems and fail to fix them, making their hinges way to stiff, but as long as I used the lubricant, should it be fine for at least a few years?

Advertisements

masterking

masterking

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
My advice in this case would be to take it to a computer repair shop. This types of repairs require certain amount of knowledge and experience.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
first off, 3 in 1 oil is probably not something you would actually want in your computer. it's probablly actually going to make your problem worse as it's going to attract dirt, gunk and grime as time goes on. it also has a nasty habit of migrating to places you don't want it to go

if you HAVE to lubricate the hinge, something like graphite lubricant or something of that nature is probably a better solution as it won't make the hinge collect more gunk and it won't migrate.

i would suggest getting some canned air and blowing out as much of whatever is in the hinge as you can and then using graphite lubricant instead. if it keeps getting worse you would be best served by taking it to a shop and getting it repaired (or googeling how to repair hinges on your model of laptop).

the hinge probably won't cause any specific issues with the screen unless the hinge completely breaks and impinges on the ribon cable that transmits power and video to the screen

RJP

RJP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Do you think I completely screwed up then? Is there a way to get it to not attract gunk, like if I use dust remover will that get rid of future gunk? Thats what I used at first but didn't work was a dust remover. My grandpa was very precise in making sure the 3 in one oil only hit the hinges. Does it still spread? Your response has me scared to death. I heard WD40 was the bad choice. Is it guaranteed that there will be a build up of gunk now? If I get graphite oil will that negate the 3 in one oils effects?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
wd40 and 3 in 1 aren't that far apart. they're both oils. they will both leave a residue, which is how they work. that residue will grab on to dust and other funk which will, in time, make your problem worse.

again, get the canned air (dust remover i guess) and blow out as much as you can from the hinges (blow towards the outside of the computer not the inside) then put the graphite in the hinge

http://www.oreillyau...ite!s!lubricant this is an example of a graphite lube. it's not an oil, it's graphite powder (the stuff pencils are made of)

you don't need to be that concerned. i'm typing this from a laptop that sounds like you're wringing out a roll of bubble wrap when you open the lid. laptop hinges break, it's a thing they do. there is a possibility of a broken hinge actually causing system problems, but that usually involves a very major type of break, not the kind of thing that just results in crunchy sounds

RJP

RJP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
How long before build ups do you think? I'm trying to air out a laptop case that came from my grand fathers that has a distinct smell of his. I've had my computer exposed for a little over a week it don't look like its attracted anything yet, he told me he put less than a drop the two times he did it. I'm wondering if I cover the hinges with something like a plastic bag while waiting for the smell to air out of the laptop case, will that prevent dust from entering? Will the 3 in One wear itself out anyways with more opening and closing? I'm really thinking on that graphite powder though. Thank you very much btw.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the quickest way to get the 3 in 1 out would be to blow it out with air. the most complete way would be to take the hinge apart and clean it with a solvent (this option is clearly overkill and not really necessary).

RJP

RJP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
So if I clean it out, its lubricating effects will be gone as well? I'm saying too if the dust builds up is that impossible to clean out at that point? I'm going to look into that other lubricant soon.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you clean it out then it won't be lubricating anything because it won't be there. dust is almost never impossible to clean out, it's just a matter of difficulty. the hinge on the lid of your laptop isn't really a complex animal and should be pretty easy to clean out without a terribly large amount of trouble.

RJP

RJP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Once again thank you for all of your help. You've made me feel a bit more at ease. I get very extreme with electronics cause I know I cant afford new ones. I literally look at everything and wonder if its closer to doom. I have Aspergers so OCD is pretty overwhelming with it. I try to convince myself nothings perfect, I can take little things though and take them really far. Right now I have a baggie covering each hinge so no grime flies in for now. I will take your advice and use dust remover within the next few days, to hopefully blow out the 3 in One and get some of that graphite. Should I hold the computer so the hinges are facing the ceiling and spray the dust remover facing upwards when doing it?

The only other thing which I think I mentioned is that I've read some complaints about the Acer I have, that the hinges do that because Acer mistakenly made the hinges way to stiff, especially for how big the screens are, but lubricant should negate that company problem right?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
I can't comment on the reliability of acer hinges, but hinges are the weak point in basically all laptops or any other type of flip open device. it's the nature of the beast really. lubrication should alleviate any issues with the hinges that are related to mating surface contact. it's not magic though, if the hinges are just too darned tight, then they're just too darned tight and lube isn't going to fix that.

RJP

RJP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I doubt anything came out when I sprayed, I saw a few sticky hard spots that I had to get rid of with a card, I could reach a card to take it out. If there is some residue left on the hinge, cause there might be, will that be bad or is a litlle really no concern? Seems like this stuff is rock hard on.

RJP

RJP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Cause I got the graphite today, my grand father is probably stopping by after, so I'll have him apply the graphite.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
not seeing what you're seeing it's a little hard to say. if something is hard, like a resin or something, then you'd probably want to get that out. if you mean there's some dust and such in there that's hard to get out, then a little shouldn't be a problem

RJP

RJP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I mean the residue of the oil, sorry. But yeah, my grand father didn't put a lot, he did do it on two separate occasions but a real tiny amount. I saw a couple of spots after I sprayed and they were stuck to the plastic above the hinge. Only swiping it with a card got rid of it. I saw nothing come out when I sprayed too. Seems like the hinge has the sleakness of the lubricant still as well. So what I'm saying is, even if theres a bit of residue that I don't know about, it shouldn't end up being bad right? I can go ahead and apply the graphite?