Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TouchPad and dvd player problem

• Please log in to reply

fonefix

fonefix

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Guys

I have problem on an Acer Aspire 5520, the touchpad and dvd player aren't working.

I have re-installed windows and also changed the top plate with the touchpad and the dvd player but still the same problem.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Edited by fonefix, 19 February 2013 - 08:29 AM.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
What version of Windows, eg; Vista, Windows 7 etc, are you running Fonefix and welcome to Geeks To Go by the way.

fonefix

fonefix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi. Thanks for your reply

Using windows 7 atm, I have nothing on the laptop at all except for the default windows OS.

Forgot to mention had to replace the hdd because that also went.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Who put Windows 7 on the machine because from what I am seeing that model only had Windows Vista on?

fonefix

fonefix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes it did you're right, but when the hard drive went I've had windows 7 home premium for a while and just installed that instead.

I don't have a recovery cd for the acer 5520.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Well I've usually found that what will run Vista will run Windows 7 and Acer machines have excellent support but the thing I have to ask is this, is Win 7 an unbranded OEM version or a Retail version that has not been installed on any other PC?

fonefix

fonefix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It's a retail dvd version which I bought but never used.

I might also add that it wouldn't install through the internal dvd drive so I had to use an external drive to install windows.

The dvd also doesn't show up in the bios of the laptop even though I've install a new one.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Ok.

The bios will only show internal components whereas Disk Management will show the external optical drive and it will even show by double left clicking Computer.

Go here to get the Sysnaptics Touchpad driver even though the OS is Vista as I'll more or less guarantee that it will work unless you have damaged the touchpad connector in some way.

http://support.acer-...ok/as_5520.html

Regarding the internal optical drive the issue could be that the optical lens is faulty and cannot read media either CD or DVD or the mechanism is faulty.

fonefix

fonefix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Thanks for that

I'll install the drivers and get back to you.

Thanks you for your patience and help.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You're more than welcome mate and yes please let us know how you go on. :thumbsup: