Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Apps Not Responding, Disk Graph at Max

• Please log in to reply

RayGo

RayGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi Macboatmaster

Which devices are connected IDE.

The following is from Device Manager.

Target ID   Device Type     Current Mode    Details

ATA Chanel 0             0           ATA disk       Ultra Mode 6    IDE Channel
ATA Chanel 1             0           ATA disk       PIO Mode 4      IDE Channel
ATA Chanel 2             0           ATA disk       Ultra Mode 6    IDE Channel
ATA Chanel 5             0           ATAPI Cdrom    Ultra Mode 5    IDE Channel
Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller PCI Bus 0

See my screenshot please, on the entry in device manager click the entry IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers to expand, then right click on the entries, then click to show as per my screenshot and if you click on the Events tab and then click all events, this will open the Management console and you should then have confirmation of the failure of that controller in respect of the mentioned device

I don't see the Events tab on any device.

Check device manager to see which device is registered as connected port 1.

I clicked all over Device Manager. The only reference to a port is to "Communications Port (COM1)". I can open Computer Management via Administrative Tools, but even there, I see no reference to Port 1.

I haven't done the Western Digital diagnostics full version on the E drive yet. The PC isn't usable for anything while the diagnostic is running. Will do so later.

I'm searching the ASUS site for chipset and SATA updates.

RayGo

Advertisements

RayGo

RayGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi Macboatmaster

Which devices are connected IDE.

The following is from Device Manager.

Target ID   Device Type     Current Mode    Details

ATA Chanel 0             0           ATA disk       Ultra Mode 6    IDE Channel
ATA Chanel 1             0           ATA disk       PIO Mode 4      IDE Channel
ATA Chanel 2             0           ATA disk       Ultra Mode 6    IDE Channel
ATA Chanel 5             0           ATAPI Cdrom    Ultra Mode 5    IDE Channel
Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller PCI Bus 0

See my screenshot please, on the entry in device manager click the entry IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers to expand, then right click on the entries, then click to show as per my screenshot and if you click on the Events tab and then click all events, this will open the Management console and you should then have confirmation of the failure of that controller in respect of the mentioned device

I don't see the Events tab on any device.

Check device manager to see which device is registered as connected port 1.

I clicked all over Device Manager. The only reference to a port is to "Communications Port (COM1)". I can open Computer Management via Administrative Tools, but even there, I see no reference to Port 1.

I haven't done the Western Digital diagnostics full version on the E drive yet. The PC isn't usable for anything while the diagnostic is running. Will do so later.

I'm searching the ASUS site for chipset and SATA updates.

Note: So far, the forum has given me a Busy error twice while trying to post this. Trying again after a brief wait...

RayGo

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
1. Sorry about the events tab.

I was on 8.
I have set up this computer as a triple boot with 8, 7 and XP.
Hope you will understand, how I made the error. I am back on 7 now, you do not have that button on windows 7.
I swtich to the OS according to the porblem I am helping with, but generally run 8. SORRY

2. Lets try it this way, what is the disk that is in PIO mode.

3. You have 6 sata ports on that motherboard I think. What is connected to Sata port 1.

4. I would not concern yourself further with the WD disk check utility. I do not think it is anything to do with the disk.

5. As you suspect the drive lettered E, one of the ITB drives, check if that is the drive connected SATA 1 and as that is not the OD drive, with of course all powered down and the AC power lead disconnected, disconnect, the sata power to that drive and the sata data, from the motherboard.

6. Reboot and try again

HOWEVER do first try the chipset and SATA drivers update, or even if you have the latest a reinstall

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 February 2013 - 03:45 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Your motherboard see screenshot

However when windows reports port 1 - it counts from 0
therefore it could be SATA port 2 on the board

If after you have done what I suggested, I suspect the SATA lead this is NOT unknown and I would change the lead for the drive - the data lead, if you find it is the E drive, put another lead on that

Windows counts from IdePort0, so you may be
able to tell which SATA port it's talking about, by checking both SATA 1, presumably that is your SSD drive and SATA 2

Attached Thumbnails

• sata.jpg

RayGo

RayGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi Macboatmaster

I was on 8.

I'm waiting until MS comes out with SP1 for Win8 before I upgrade. As an aside, how do you like Win8?

2. Lets try it this way, what is the disk that is in PIO mode.

Can this be done through the OS, or do you mean visually inspect the MOBO?

3. You have 6 sata ports on that motherboard I think. What is connected to Sata port 1.

Same question: Can this be done through the OS, or do you mean visually inspect the MOBO?

4. I would not concern yourself further with the WD disk check utility. I do not think it is anything to do with the disk.

OK.

5. As you suspect the drive lettered E, one of the ITB drives, check if that is the drive connected SATA 1 and as that is not the OD drive, with of course all powered down and the AC power lead disconnected, disconnect, the sata power to that drive and the sata data, from the motherboard.

Did you mean, "as that is not the OS (a typo) drive"? If not, what is an OD drive? The Win7 OS is installed entirely on the C drive. All other programs and data are on the D and E drives except those programs that insist on using the C drive.

HOWEVER do first try the chipset and SATA drivers update, or even if you have the latest a reinstall

I did DL the drivers for the chipset and SATA. I'll install them next because it will be a real hassle for me to open the case for visual inspections. I have limited mobility and generally get help for physically moving bulky objects or, as in this instance, objects that are difficult to reach. The system unit case is under a bench accessible from only one side. I don't bend as much as when I was younger.

Note 1: During about three hours of intermittent usage, I haven't had any hangs today. I didn't reboot or do any other thing unusual except run the WD diagnostics as described earlier. I don't believe the problem is solved. I think the PC is just in one of its benevolent moods.

Note 2: I just remembered a symptom I haven't mentioned. Yesterday, when I used Windows Explorer to right-click on the root directory of any disk to check its properties, I was getting an access denied (approximate verbiage) message. I had no problem checking properties of any directory other than a root directory (e.g., C:\). Windows Explorer was also able to navigate normally the whole time. The problem came only when I tried to check properties of a root directory. Today, the problem has disappeared.

Thank you for staying with this problem.

RayGo

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Yes typo - OS

2. You will need to open the case to disconnect the SATA leads

3. That is the most definite test as of course if the controller error is for that drive, it will not then be involved

4. The drivers for the chipset and SATA are the way to go FIRST

5. Was the SSD installed for you, if so, and you have had the problem since then, had I known before, and perhaps it is my fault for not asking, I would have recommended, before NOW that you take it back to whoever did the job, presuming that you did not have this error before the SDD was installed. - sorry I would have to go back and read the whole topic again to check if you had mentioned it.
12 January springs to mind

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 February 2013 - 05:19 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thought you may be interested in this read post 12 onwards.

Forget about the Acer reference, but the same principle of what I am telling you about the drivers applies to you

http://www.sevenforu...isk1-dr1-2.html

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 February 2013 - 05:55 PM.

RayGo

RayGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi Macboatmaster

The image of the MOBO you sent is correct. I do have six SATA ports on the MOBO. The layout of the ASUS M5A97 MOBO is on page 2-2 of the manual.

ASUS M5A97 manual available from: http://www.asus.com/...ort_Download_30.

3. That is the most definite test as of course if the controller error is for that drive, it will not then be involved

I am assuming you mean the removal of power and data from the SATA port now being used by the E drive is "the most definite test". Do I understand you correctly? Also, are you advising me to operate with the E drive disconnected or should I use one of the other SATA ports and a different data cable (I think I have a spare somewhere).

4. The drivers for the chipset and SATA are the way to go FIRST

Will do.

5. Was the SSD installed for you,...

No. I installed it at the time I built the PC. Same time as I installed the D and E drives. The hangups were with me since day 1 in early January. I thought the hangups may have been caused by a faulty installation of the OS. I re-installed 64-bit Win7 Pro 19 January 2013.

Should I continue trying to ID the device on Port 1, or does the disconnection of one of the SATA ports an equivalent test? If ID of Port 1 is possible through the OS, I'd like to know how to do it.

Do you have any comment about Windows Explorer being temporarily unable to access properties of drive root directories?

Surprisingly, still no hangs this afternoon (about four hours of intermittent usage).

I may need to leave this problem until tomorrow (Sunday). I'll update the chipset and SATA drivers when I get back.

Thank you.

RayGo

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
See post 37.

I know about your manual I downloaded it WAY back in the topic,

Please post back when you have installed the drivers and in view of what you have said on your last, if that does not fix it, check those connections for SATA from motherboard to drives, and power.

Then if still a problem replace the SATA data on E.

SATA connections unless you have the DATA leads with the securing catch, are very easily disturbed.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 February 2013 - 06:03 PM.

RayGo

RayGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi Macboatmaster,

Thought you may be interested in this read post 12 onwards

Yes, interesting. I hope I have the same good result.

Bye for now...

RayGo

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Goodnight

Please do let me know, no rush, you take it easy

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 February 2013 - 06:03 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Please complete any instruction from Macboatmaster first and wait for his comments on this post.

Do you have any comment about Windows Explorer being temporarily unable to access properties of drive root directories?

May not be related to hangs.

See Speccy, Post #5, has 2 running explorer.exe, C:\
You also have running explorer++.exe D:\ (did you install this?) > http://explorerplusplus.com/ As far as I can gather it woulld reside in the same directory as explorer.exe and be set as the Default.
The 2 instances on the C drive could be because you have it set to, open each exe in a new window. Both instances should be in the same path, if not, one could be malicious.

From Post #13, There are multiple instances of each of the following:

This one, (not faulting) The program Explorer++.exe version 1.3.4.485 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed.

This one. Faulting application name: explorer.exe,

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well spotted by my good colleague.
Explorer++.exe
as against simply
explorer.exe without the ++

Returning to the faulting application mentioned on post 13.

Faulting application name:
explorer.exe,
version: 6.1.7601.17567,
time stamp: 0x4d672ee4
Faulting module name: SHELL32.dll,
version: 6.1.7601.17859,
time stamp: 0x4fd2dfec
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000504aa
Faulting process id: 0x1798
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce007eb937c575
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\SHELL32.dll

Shell32.dll is connected with the opening of files and applications - for instance notepad is one.
It is part of the whole system of opening more or less all, via the Application Programming Interface.

HOW IT ALL WORKS exactly is beyond my level of knowledge.
As I understand it, if the application that you were trying to open, was corrupted, or windows did not like it, OR there is a problem with the file system, as may have been revealed by the scannow on system file check, then SHELL would fail.

Explorer which is also part of the problem would fail.

That all said, AN excellent spot by iammykyl and I totally agree if you have installed it uninstall it.

When you have caught up with that and the chipset and SATA controllers, I think we will, if it is not solved try a couple of other tests, unfortunately it will really mean opening the case

Edited by Macboatmaster, 24 February 2013 - 11:16 AM.

RayGo

RayGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi Macboatmaster and iammykyl

I installed Explorer++.exe because I was getting frequent hang-ups, and about a quarter of the time they were associated with Windows Explorer. E.g., deleting, renaming, or moving one or several files from one folder to another on the same HD. I was hoping Explorer++.exe could avoid the problem. In fact, Explorer++.exe was hanging with about the same frequency. I have retained Explorer++.exe on my system because I like its tabbed interface. It has a number of additional features which are improvements over Windows Explorer. In short, Explorer++.exe came on scene long after the hangups were occurring, and I don't believe it to be the source of any problems.

In about five hours of intermittent usage yesterday evening and this morning, I haven't experienced any hang-ups. Not one! That is very welcome, but unusual behavior. I noticed this improvement yesterday, and, as I said then, I haven't rebooted or taken any other unusual measure except for running the quick version of the Western Digital diagnostics on all three physical drives once yesterday afternoon.

The problem hasn't gone away, however. See the following error logs:

Windows Logs > Application
Most recent error time logged: 2/21/2013 1:13:57 PM
The program DllHost.exe version 6.1.7600.16385 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
 Process ID: d88
 Start Time: 01ce105f12fc9e49
 Termination Time: 34934
 Application Path: C:\Windows\system32\DllHost.exe
 Report Id: 5cb0ed4b-7c52-11e2-a1cc-50465da74f50

Windows Logs > System
358 identical errors in the past two hours as follows:
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1.

In preparation for updating the chipset and SATA drivers, I created a System Repair disk, and I have taken snapshots of the Registry by using System Restore as well as ERUNT. All my critical data is backed up via the LAN to a different PC.

I need to do a chore, but when I return in several hours, I'll update the drivers.

Thank you for your patience.

RayGo

RayGo

RayGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi Macboatmaster and iammykyl

I should have added that, even though I think Explorer++.exe is innocent, I am willing to uninstall it if you are convinced it is a likely cause of trouble.

RayGo