Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Apps Not Responding, Disk Graph at Max

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
It is with respect, IMHO no use exploring further until you have those drivers installed.

As you said on post 40 - very interesting I hope I have the same result.

If then it is not solved after a reboot, YES I would uninstall that explorer++.exe.

If it is still not then solved I again OPINE that you must check those connections, test, if still not cured, disconnect the suspect drive and data cables and if then fixed, replace data cable and test.

If still a problem, from what I have seen and to save me an awful lot of typing to explain, I would try with just ONE stick of ram, as you have two x 8GB.

In short the fact it passed the ram test, does not mean that THIS test with just one stick is not VERY worthwhile

Edited by Macboatmaster, 24 February 2013 - 03:29 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I should have added that, even though I think Explorer++.exe is innocent, I am willing to uninstall it if you are convinced it is a likely cause of trouble.

Been looking at the site, seems almost dead, can find no recent responses from the Authors. did see this though,
NB. Important: If Explorer++ is set as the default file manager, make sure you select "Don't replace Explorer" before you delete the application.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
And I have changed my mind.

I still think you should install the chipset driver and SATA driver, but after that if you still have problems I would, if it were me go straight to the ram.

Before you start disconnecting drives etc.

Take out one stick and retest - you can of course leave the case open.

After an hour or so of research I think the RAM may be the problem.

Not defective in any manner, but in Serial Presence Detect mode, which it is unless you alter timings etc. in BIOS it is NOT I think the best ram for that system.

In fact neither ASUS nor GSkill, as far as I can see list it for that motherboard in that configuration.

and possibly this may support that opinion, presuming that you tested the system with only the OS installed

No. I installed it at the time I built the PC. Same time as I installed the D and E drives. The hangups were with me since day 1 in early January. I thought the hangups may have been caused by a faulty installation of the OS. I re-installed 64-bit Win7 Pro 19 January 2013.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 24 February 2013 - 05:07 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
To clear up any ambiguity from my last I do NOT mean you should proceed with the ram before following my colleagues suggestion

RayGo

RayGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi Macboatmaster and iammykyl

Thank you for your replies.

NB. Important: If Explorer++ is set as the default file manager, make sure you select "Don't replace Explorer" before you delete the application.

Strrangely, when I tried to select Don't replace Explorer, an error message said I don't have administrative privilege. That's incorrect. I closed all applications and rebooted, but received the same message. It was necessary for me to take the intermediate step of selecting Replace Explorer for filesystem folders. That was permitted. I then selected Don't replace Explorer and it was finally accepted.

I then installed the chipset driver update. Here's the report:
Catalyst™ Install Manager
Installation Report
02/25/13 06:46:35

Hardware information 
Name  
Manufacturer Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. 
Device ID 0x5a14 
Vendor ID 0x1002 
Class Code 0x060000 
Revision ID 0x02 
Subsystem ID 0x5a14 
Subsystem vendor ID 0x1002 
Other hardware 

Existing packages 
Packages for install
AMD Catalyst Install ManagerFinal Status: Success 
Version of Item: 8.0.877.0 
Size: 20 Mbytes 
AMD APP SDK RuntimeFinal Status: Success 
Version of Item: 10.0.937.2 
Size: 90 Mbytes 
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 RedistributableFinal Status: Success 
Version of Item: 10.0.30319 
Size: 9 Mbytes 
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 RedistributableFinal Status: Success 
Version of Item: 10.0.30319 
Size: 9 Mbytes 
AMD SATA AHCI DriverFinal Status: Success 
Version of Item: 1.2.001.0329 
Size: 1 Mbytes 
AMD USB Filter DriverFinal Status: Success 
Version of Item: 2.0.7.176 
Size: 1 Mbytes 

Other detected devices 

Device ID 0x5a16 
Vendor ID 0x1002 
Class Code 0x060400 
Revision ID 0x00 
Subsystem ID 0x0000 
Subsystem vendor ID 0x0000 

Device ID 0x5a18 
Vendor ID 0x1002 
Class Code 0x060400 
Revision ID 0x00 
Subsystem ID 0x0000 

Device ID 0x5a1b 
Vendor ID 0x1002 
Class Code 0x060400 
Revision ID 0x00 
Subsystem ID 0x0000 

ATI Integrated SATA Support 
Device ID 0x4391 
Vendor ID 0x1002 
Class Code 0x010601 
Revision ID 0x40 
Subsystem ID 0x84dd 
Subsystem vendor ID 0x1043 

ATI Integrated SMBus Support 
Device ID 0x4385 
Vendor ID 0x1002 
Class Code 0x0c0500 
Revision ID 0x42 
Subsystem ID 0x4385 
Subsystem vendor ID 0x1002 

ATI Integrated Azalia Support 
Device ID 0x4383 
Vendor ID 0x1002 
Class Code 0x040300 
Revision ID 0x40 
Subsystem ID 0x8445 
Subsystem vendor ID 0x1043 

Device ID 0x4384 
Vendor ID 0x1002 
Class Code 0x060401 
Revision ID 0x40 
Subsystem ID 0x0000 

Device ID 0x1600 
Vendor ID 0x1022 
Class Code 0x060000 
Revision ID 0x00 
Subsystem ID 0x0000 

Device ID 0x1601 
Vendor ID 0x1022 
Class Code 0x060000 
Revision ID 0x00 
Subsystem ID 0x0000 

Device ID 0x1602 
Vendor ID 0x1022 
Class Code 0x060000 
Revision ID 0x00 
Subsystem ID 0x0000 

Device ID 0x1603 
Vendor ID 0x1022 
Class Code 0x060000 
Revision ID 0x00 
Subsystem ID 0x0000 

Device ID 0x1604 
Vendor ID 0x1022 
Class Code 0x060000 
Revision ID 0x00 
Subsystem ID 0x0000 

Device ID 0x1605 
Vendor ID 0x1022 
Class Code 0x060000 
Revision ID 0x00 
Subsystem ID 0x0000 

Error messages -none-

I checked Device Manager and confirmed SATA driver is Version 1.2.001.0329. Apparently one does not need a separate download for SATA driver.

I'd like to put this PC through some testing to see if it hangs, but I need to leave for about six hours.

After an hour or so of research I think the RAM may be the problem.

I checked the Kingston site, and I confirmed that the installed RAM is not on their recommended list for this MOBO.

Although I haven't uninstalled Explorer++, I haven't launched it since I updated the drivers. When I get back, I will test the system. If I get any hangs, or if I see a large number of Error messages since about 7 a.m. EDT in Windows Logs > System, I'll uninstall Explorer++.

More later...

RayGo

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

I check the Kingston site

I thought it was GSkill ram.

In fact neither ASUS nor GSkill, as far as I can see list it for that motherboard in that configuration.

With respect after the amount of time we have spent on this it is best I think leaving the issue until you carry out your testing and then decide if you wish to follow my advice and that of my colleague.

Speccy reports it as GSkill ram and the reference ties in with GSkill.

Manufacturer:
G.Skill
Max Bandwidth:PC3-10700 (667 MHz)
Part Number:F3-1866C10-8GAB

I had as I say spent an hour or so researching the issue of the ram.

Asus provide what is known as the QVL list for the ram it is on the ASUS site for that motherboard.
I checked that list.
I then went to the GSkill site and checked the ram they recommend for that motherboard.

If I am wrong or perhaps I should say if Speccy is wrong then I apologise.

Returning to the issue of the drivers.
When installing a motherboard, one should always after installing the operating system, visit the motherboard site and obtain the LATEST drivers.

It is not unknown for the problem you have to be caused by a problem with those drivers and installing the latest or if you already have it reinstalling it often solves the problem.

HOWEVER it does indeed appear that your 6 SATA ports are controlled by the chipset

The 6 SATA 6Gb/s ports are run by the native AMD SB950 controller.

So perhaps you do not need the separately listed drivers for SATA. On many boards, some ports are controlled by one SATA driver and some by another.

I still think you should follow my advice re the ram, but I will of course leave the decision with you.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 February 2013 - 10:38 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further to the above I think you will find this is the ram

http://www.gskill.co...8;c1=1&c2=3

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 February 2013 - 10:03 AM.

RayGo

RayGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi Macboatmaster

I thought it was GSkill ram.

Yes, it is. I didn't think differently. My reason for checking the Kingston site was to see what they advise for this MOBO. I confirm your conclusion that the installed RAM is not advised by ASUS, G.Skill, nor Kingston. It's what I have, and I'd like to stay with it if the updated drivers tame the hang-ups.

With respect after the amount of time we have spent on this it is best I think leaving the issue until you carry out your testing and then decide if you wish to follow my advice and that of my colleague.

Sorry for the interruptions. I am testing the PC for about two hours now. Then I have medically necessary physical therapy and some chores. I will get back to this PC later tonight. I can tell you I haven't had any hangs yet today during almost an hour of use. Also, I have no Errors in Windows Logs > System.

When installing a motherboard, one should always after installing the operating system, visit the motherboard site and obtain the LATEST drivers.

Correct.

So perhaps you do not need the separately listed drivers for SATA.

The two downloads for just SATA drivers on the ASUS site both contained earlier versions than the SATA driver bundled with the download for the chipset drivers. In my previous post, I showed the installation of what I believe to be the latest chipset and SATA drivers.

I still think you should follow my advice re the ram, but I will of course leave the decision with you.

Your advice is well taken. It is based on my having sub-optimal RAM on this PC. If hang-ups or frequent Error reports in the Windows Logs persist, I'll try the RAM stick experiment you suggested. If necessary, I'll buy the recommended RAM. On the other hand, if the problem was cured by the updated drivers, I will re-launch Explorer++ and set it as the default. If the problems return, then I'll buy the recommended RAM. I should be able to devote 10 or 12 hours of testing tonight into Tuesday morning. That may tell us whether updated drivers cured the problem.

Thank you for your continuing help.

RayGo

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I will wait to here from you.

The GSkill site has a full list of recommended ram as, does the ASUS site on the QVL list

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 February 2013 - 04:02 PM.

RayGo

RayGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi Macboatmaster

Further to the above I think you will find this is the ram
http://www.gskill.co...x=486&c1=1&c2=3

[ ARES ] F3-1866C10D-16GAB may be the correct choice, but when I search the G.Skill site for the ASUS M5A97, I get this page: http://www.gskill.co...ch2=&model=1487, and the [ ARES ] F3-1866C10D-16GAB is not one of the products listed. Did you base your search on DDR3 and PC3 14900? If I need to make a purchase, I'd like to see my MOBO listed as compatible with the new RAM.

Thank you,

RayGo

Advertisements

RayGo

RayGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi Macboatmaster

The GSkill site has a full list of recommended ram as, does the ASUS site on the QVL list

I hadn't seen this when I sent my latest reply. What is "the QVL list"?

Thank you,

RayGo

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am sorry to say that one of us is confused.

Re my post 52 and your post 55.

I never meant it was the correct ram - I meant it was your ram -the ram you have installed.

Possibly your sudden mention of Kingston has caused this mix-up.

PLEASE post when either YOU have solved it, OR you have done what I have suggested to date including the ram, the drive cable connections, the replacement of the cable on the suspect drive, kindly indicating if the problem is solved or NOT

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 February 2013 - 05:11 PM.

RayGo

RayGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi Macboatmaster,

PLEASE post when either YOU have solved it, OR you have done what I have suggested to date including the ram, the drive cable connections, the replacement of the cable on the suspect drive, kindly indicating if the problem is solved or NOT

OK. I've resumed testing the new drivers about 30 minutes ago. So far, no hangs and no new Errors in Event Viewer. I'll continue testing in the current configuration well into Tuesday morning unless I get hang-ups or Errors in the logs. If I do get Errors or hangs, then it will be time to open the case.

What is "the QVL list"?

I am sorry to say that one of us is confused.

Yes, I'm the one confused. I didn't recognize "[ ARES ] F3-1866C10D-16GAB" as being my existing RAM. Maybe because the manufacturer's name [ ARES ] was included. I mentioned Kingston because I've dealt with them before, and they do list RAM sticks specifically matched to my MOBO. I'm likely to buy from them if it is necessary to replace the RAM.

More later after additional testing...

Thank you.

RayGo

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. So do GSkill it is on their list and the QVL list from Asus

2. The QVL list is the Qualified Vendors list and is on the link from your Asus motherboard, from where I downloaded the manual early in the topic

Asus provide what is known as the QVL list for the ram it is on the ASUS site for that motherboard.

3. DO NOT please think I am advising buying DIFFERENT ram until you have established that this I where the problem lies. and even then, it may well be that this ram will work perfectly if the various settings for the ram are changed in the BIOS. HOWEVER whilst GSkill and ASUS may well advise you on that I am not fully conversant with those settings, sufficiently to guide you.

6. If you click the link I gave you for the GSkill, , if it has stayed on the page it then goes to the complete spec of the tam and lists the boards on ASUS for which it is known to be compatible. Yours is not on that list

7. If you then search GSkill by board you will find which they list

You can then compare this with the QVL list

There is of course one certain way to know - do you still have the packaging that the ram came in from where ever you ordered it.

AND both Asus and GSkill are reasonably good at replying to requests for advice, and certainly GSkill will tell you immediately if that ram in that configuration of 2 x 8GB will work on that motherboard WITHOUT changing settings for voltages etc.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 February 2013 - 09:09 PM.

RayGo

RayGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi Macboatmaster and iammykyl,

It looks to me like this problem has been solved.

I haven't had any Application or system errors since early morning February 25. I also haven't had any hang-ups since then.

The machine has been in intermittent use for about ten hours during the period. For most of that time, Explorer++ has been running with Replace Explorer for all folders selected.

I believe the updated chipset and SATA drivers were the keys to the problem.

Many thanks for all your help!

RayGo