Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Build PC

• Please log in to reply

Suigen

Suigen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Okay great, I will go ahead then and order all my stuff.
I will let you know when I am finished putting everything together, or if I have any problems, but I think the guid on how to build a computer will solve most of my problems.
I really appreciate your help, with picking out the right parts for my PC. Thank you.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Some Addison to your actual building procedure. It seems a lot, probable a bit pedantic, but all the information is available in the various manuals, just most of it put in one place. The tools I use are a #2 Phillips head magnetic screwdriver and a small pair of snips for tidying up zip ties.

For the CPU/cooler installation, follow the guide in the Motherboard user manual.
For RAM, especially which slots to install to, the Mobo User Manual.

You will find it easier to build if you proceed in this fashion. Work on a large flat surface. Handle sensitive parts by the edges, Place parts on clean newspaper or inside anti static bags, not on the bag.

Remove both side panels of the case and front.
Change the I/O shield in the back of the case with the one supplied in the Mobo box.
Inside the case, on the Mobo mounting plate, check that the stand-offs match exactly the pattern and number of screw holes on the Mobo, no extra ones.
With the case upright, install the PSU, Connect to a switchable power outlet or power strip, (preferable with surge protection) Check power is off, both at the socket and the PSU,
Install the Optical drive in the top available bay.
Install the HDD in the first top available HDD bay.
Move the case to one side.

Place a clean piece of cardboard a little larger the the board on to your worktop, if available, place the foam packaging on top.
take anti static measures. place the Mobo on the foam.
Install the CPU.
Inspect the bottom of the cooler, remove any protective films, make sure TIM Is present.
Install the cooler.
Inspect the back of the board to insure that the cooler locking pins are correctly locked in place. Lay the Mobo back down on the foam.
Connect the CPU fan plug to the CPU fan header on the Mobo.(4-pin CPU_FAN1)
Install the RAM in the correct slots, ensure the locking tabs at each end of the module is fully engaged.
Lay down the case and install the Mobo.

Your PSU comes with 2 fixed cable.
Your Mobo is not well supported down the right hand side, so line up the 24 pin plug to the socket, carefully support under the socket with a finger, push down on the plug till it clicks into place.

Install the video card.
Stand up the case.
Connect the second fixed cable from PSU 4+4 (8 pin 12v) cable to the socket, (top left on the Mobo) If the cable is long enough, you should run it up the back of the Mobo mounting plate in the cable management area. When possible you should try to do the same for as many cables as possible.

Connect the video card, use 2 cables. Red Socket on the PSU.
Connect power to the Optical drive and HDD, Use a 15 pin SATA power cable,

Connect One SATA DATA cable from SATA3_#1 socket on the Mobo to the HDD.
Connect second SATA DATA cable from SATA2_#4 socket on the Mobo to the Optical drive.
Connect the top fan and if fitted to front fans using a molex 4 pin cable, The floppy plug is not used on this build.
Bring down the rear fan Molex plug to the bottom of the case, past the PSU, connect to a 4 pin Molex socket.

Connect the USB and audio cables from the case wiring to the sockets on the Mobo.
Connect the cables to the System Panel Header.
Connect the Mini system speaker.

Carefully read the WiFi card manual. Some require the software to be installed before the card is installed.

Connect the Monitor. Connect a keyboard and mouse.

Power on the Monitor, switch on power to the computer, Press the power on button.
All the fans should start, the post procedure should scroll on the monitor, you should here a single Beep. You may see a message like, no OS detected.

Switch off the computer, Ensure your anti static measures are taken. Do any required tidying of the cables, ensure the inside of the case is clean,no loose screws hammers etc. left inside, replace the casing.

Now ready for software installation.

PSU manual, > http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=704483&fid=339
Case manual, > http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/global/index.php?page=support_productInfo_details&ProdID=15300

Suigen

Suigen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Okay so I have built in everything and the OS is installed, but every now and then, when I do more things at once( downloading sth and surfing on the internet), the computer shuts down just like that, no warning ehat so ever and I don't know why. I can leave the Computer on, doing nothing and it just keeps running, no shut downs. What am I doing wrong?

Okay apperantly I can't keep it running without doing sth, it will still shut down.

Edited by Suigen, 05 March 2013 - 04:52 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
Sorry to hear you are having a problem. We will look first to see if you have a overheating problem.

Go to > http://www.piriform.com/speccy > Click Download, > in the window that opens, on the left hand panel click Download from:FileHippo.com Piriform.com.
When the where to save window opens, Select Desktop. When the download is complete, go to the desktop and double click on Speccy.
Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course.Posted Image
Now, in the menu bar at the top left, click File > Publish SnapshotYou will see the following promptPosted Image

> Click Yes > then open in browser

Posted Image

Please copy the URL from the address bar into your next reply.

Suigen

Suigen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
oksy I have done that, it seem like the cpu is not getting cooled enough, because it hits 80 sometimes and it is red.
My link

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the updatre.
Yes the CPU is getting to hot, It does have heat protection, will automatically turn off at a given temp to prevent damage. Please limit the amount of time using the PC until we sort out the issue. Please do the following.
Turn off the power, Remove both side panes, take anti static measures.

Let the computer cool down for five minutes.
Grasp the to of the cooler, Gentry try to move it about, it should hardly wiggle side to side, it should not rock corner to corner.
Look at the top of the heat-sink, are the 4 locking tabs all engaged?
Look at the back of the Mobo plate, are the 4 pins poking through the plate from the CPU cooler all the same length?

Speccy is showing the CPU as i7 3770. Did you install a i5 3570k?