Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Working XP C Drive. Connect internal Sata drives-No Boot

• Please log in to reply

rockitmiles

rockitmiles

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Uninstalled SP3 as well as Internet Explorer to solve No Update problem. After 12 hours of problems I managed to reformat and install XP Media Edition.
Managed finally to get all updates including SP3,programs etc. This all happened ONLY after I disconnected my other 3 Sata drives which is now my problem.
I could and still can boot up if they are not connected. I managed to get my 30K music files as well as saved program files and Doc files.on the other drives.
I did this by booting up with drives not connected. I then connected them while running and they were in my Computer. I copied my files into my C drive and
my Panic was over. I did notice the Drive letters went from F-G-H to K-L-M if that is any clue. If I leave drives connected and restart I get black screen and
flashing cursor. Disconnect them and i can boot. I did a reformat on the drive I had my music files in. This was letter F drive now is K even after I changed it
to F. Tried each drive connected one by one and still will not boot. Seems like windows is looking in other drives for boot when connected? All my SATA drives are
on in BIOS and they show on boot as not found if nothing is connected. What next??

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

I did this by booting up with drives not connected. I then connected them while running and they were in my Computer.

This was not a good move.

On the motherboard which SATA socket number do you have the drives connected to as the Primary boot drive should be on SATA 1 and this should also be reflected in the BIOS boot options.

rockitmiles

rockitmiles

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Before I check my BIOS I remember this. When I decided I would have to reinstall windows I had all drives connected.
This was causing several problems just to boot and install windows. The first time I got to the point of showing my
drives and choosing a partition to load, it showed my operating system as E drive which was the CD ROM drive the disc
was in. It showed the drive which contained my music files as C Drive. At this point is when I disconnected all my spare
drives and rebooted from CD and did a Long format and installed windows. All my wire connections are the same. Are you
Implying my system is actually in the wrong SATA drive of the motherboard? Should my system be in SATA 0 and my extra drives
be 1-3. I'll get into BIOS and see what it lists.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Ok shut down completely and disconnect the other internal drives other than C: which should be connected to SATA 0 (some boards say sata 1 sometimes).

Do a new install of XP SP3 and then when fully installed re-attach the other internal drives one by one, attaching the other drives MUST be done while the machine is off.

rockitmiles

rockitmiles

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Okay I checked my BIOS.My system is up and running with all updates. BUT
Here is the list of SATA drives in BIOS.
SAT 0 Unknown
SATA 1 CD-ROM
SATA 2 DVD-ROM
SATA 3 Unknown
SATA 4 Unknown
SATA 5 Drive Controlled By BIOS

My biggest concern are the 30 thousand music files I have in a file on my running system.I know you should
always shut down to connect drives but I actually can bring up a drive if I connect while booted up and load it
or unload it which I have done. I reformatted the extra drive with the files on it to try and fix my problem so
the only files I have saved are now on my working system drive in SATA 5. Should I connect my spare drive and load my music files
into this drive so I won't lose them if I have to totally re-install windows?.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Disconnect the one on sata 5 and connect the empty reformatted drive to sata 3.

Then install XP because without that no one is going anywhere fast.

rockitmiles

rockitmiles

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm a little confused at this point.My case is labeled with 4 Drive locations.
0 2
1 3
Working system is in and connected (wires)in 0 location.
Reformatted drive is in 1
Extra drives are in 2-3 One of these drives has files the other is empty.
My working drive is in 0 location but BIOS lists it in 5 correct?
Are you saying physically putting reformatted drive in Drive location 3
and installing XP? I'm confused because my working updated drive in 0
is working fine. Is there a way to get working drive in the right SATA
drive 0 where it should be or am I totally off base on what is going on.
Doesn't my system drive have to be in Drive location 0?
If I load XP in formatted drive after putting it in drive 3 will I be able to
get back in my working drive if I connect it as it will have the operating system on it?
Why is the working drive in SATA drive 5 in BIOS when it is in 0 location when I installed
XP?

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
It appears that you are not doing what I am asking Rockit so I shall reiterate.

Disconnect ALL hard drives except the one that is empty and connect that to sata 3.

Set the cdrom as first boot option in the bios, insert the XP disk and install XP.

This will then install XP to sata 3 which when installed you can then set as the Primary boot drive on sata 0 in the bios listing.

We shall contend with the other drives and your music files afterwards.

rockitmiles

rockitmiles

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Sorry I did understand what you said. I am just concerned about my files which is 2-3 years of downloading.
Before I do this bare with me please. If I have a working system drive why am I installing a complete new
system on another drive in 3? I'm not questioning your advice at all Thank You I just like to know why I'm doing
this. If it is to tech to explain I understand but I like learning anything I can.

rockitmiles

rockitmiles

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
My system CD is only SP2. Should I do a complete update including SP3 before addressing my other problems and getting back with you?

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You may have issues with XP SP2 recognising the sata drive as sata drivers were not included in XP until SP3.

You may have to slipstream SP3.

Have a look at this guide as to how to.

http://lifehacker.co...installation-cd

rockitmiles

rockitmiles

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
New instal of XP with SP3 ubdates. Drive still in SATA 3 location. Listed as drice C in SATA 0 in Disk Management.

rockitmiles

rockitmiles

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Drive is listed in Disk Managsgment as C Drive1
Bios is now showing
SATA 0 Unknown
SATA 1 DVD/CD
SATA 2 DVD/CD
SATA 3 Running from BIOS
SATA 4 Unknown
SATA 5 Unknown

What is next to bet System drive in SATA 0
Retrieve files from removed drive assighned for SATA 5 with XP installed to retrieve files?