Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no windows

• Please log in to reply

vab's

vab's

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
dell n5110...i5 2nd gen,3 gb ram,320gb hard disk...

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Specs on the laptop show the following:

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition

There for I highly doubt it will be able to have the drivers for XP. According to Dells driver site located HERE only Win7 and Win8 are the only two OS's that system has. Not to mention they are a 64 bit version to utilize all 4 gigs of memory that the system shows it had originally.
You stated yours only has 512 megs which is not matching the amount the system had when it left the factory.

vab's

vab's

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
:rolleyes: so what should i do know?,,i got 512megs in my computer,,my lappy has 3 gb ram.......... :huh: :help: :ph34r:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK are you trying to install XP on the laptop or the desktop?
I thought this was the laptop we were trying to resolve.

vab's

vab's

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
it's d lappy.............

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK so the laptop has 4 gigs of memory correct?
The XP at this point I don't think is going to work simply because the laptop was not made for it. There will be no drivers for it for XP which means sound, video, network and possibly the touch pad will not be functional.
If the Win7 is a burned copy there might be problems installing it especially since there is no serial number available.

vab's

vab's

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
so now which os should i install in it?
:huh: :huh:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Win7 would have been the original but do you have a serial number for it? If it was installed by the shop they should have supplied you with a serial number and legally if they did not create a recovery partition on the hard drive they would have had to supply a legal OS disk. What you have is a burned copy which though not illegal can be a problem when do a reinstallation. If the serial was hand written there may be a legal concern as to other systems that serial number may have been used on.

vab's

vab's

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
:rolleyes: i am thinking of installing win7 ultimate?
is it better than the home edition or not?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes it is as it has a little more security then a home version. The important thing is now you are changing the original OS installed so the serial number you may have for Wn7 Home will not work.

Advertisements