Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Logon and LogOff after failed Premissions adjust

• Please log in to reply

IamKraZ

IamKraZ

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm running Windows XP (SP3) Pro. It was an old office desktop PC. (Mine actually, lol). I went to try and delete some of the old user account folders and got "Access Denied". *Note I was in Administrator Acct at the time* Well I figured I would just change the permissions of these folders and would be able to delete them. WRONG "Access Denied". So without thinking it threw I Right clicked on my Local Disk Drive C and edited the securities to let me have full access to every file.

Well when it got finished (an hour later) I realized there was only 2 icons on my desktop. So I figured "Ooops, that didn't work... I'll go and change it back" To my dismay, when I clicked the "Start" button, there were no programs there. I figured I royally goofed and resided to shut it down. When I went to start it back up again and logged in... It hung for a little bit (15 minutes) then put me back at the log in screen. I tried all of my other (2) accounts and same problem. I figured OK, "SAFE MODE"... Nope same result. I'm no IT and really goofed up my PC. Is there anyway I can fix it from the command prompt in safe mode?

I don't have the companies XP install CDs (they came preloaded I think) and I don't have a XP CD. Plus I would rather be able to fix it then loose all my work.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Advertisements

IamKraZ

IamKraZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
*UPDATE*

Tried to do it from a budies Win XP CD using the repair option. tried to copy the userinit.exe to the wsaupdater.exe deal I saw on another help forum, but no luck.

Couldn't get secedit command reset to work cause in Repair CD mode it's unsupported.

even tried icacls command and same thing.

Is there anyway to get either of these two to work in DOS mode?