Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Serius Laptop problem, need help!

• Please log in to reply

eddotz

eddotz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I was googleing my problem and I came across this site and I think I might be able to find some concrete answers here.

Ok lets begin, my laptop is HP Pavilion G7-1150us. bought it bout 1,5 ago in radioshack (san juan) while I was working with Carnival cruise lines and everything was fine until I went back home (europe). Thats when the [bleep] thing started crashing and shutting down without any real reason. I googled it and everybody was going about heat so next thing I did was I bought an external stand with a 140mm fan, opened the laptop and did a serious cleaning of the internal fan including changing the paste on the CPU ang GPU and because I saw that the chipset didnt have any cooling, I made a homemade cooling alternative (out of an old desktop Graphic card). Long story short, when I run Speedfan, on idle, all my temperatures are under 40C, heres a pic:

http://upload.slike....slike/Jp7k5.jpg

under stress, with everest it never goes higher than 70+.

i also tried the Whocrashed (saw the moderator suggest it to someone), there are no problems there. note: i just bought a new HDD because i thought that might be the problem and my windows 7 is completely fresh and the problem is still present.

i just dont know what to do with it any more. after posting this i'm gonna try OCCT to stress my GPU and see if that's the problem. I'll post back on that.

Please guys help out, if it's broken and unfixable I want to know, but if it can be fixed I wanna fix it somehow. Open to any suggestion. TNX

Advertisements

eddotz

eddotz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
ok I ran the OCCT GPU:3D test about 10 times on almost all possible settings and every single time the moment I push the START button, my laptop shuts down (without any warning). now I'm almost 100% sure the GPU is completely broken. If anyone has any suggestion on what to do I'm all ears.

BTW I forgot to mention, when I run safe mode my laptop can work 24/7 without shutting down or overheating in any way TESTED LOL.

SirFlopalot

SirFlopalot

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Although it seems file problems are not the issue... your use of the word "fresh" instead of "new" when posting about the OS is a mite obscure... so i will ask as if i know nothing except it keeps shutting down...

i figure you tried all these things but...
1) When you installed Win7 was it a "new" program or the same old one? If you installed the old system first it could have have a corrupt file(s) such as desktop.ini that - though it re-wrote it - it did not change any corrupt setting and/or code. If you a "new win7" to a new HDD then I would check the Bios.

2) Will it not start a single action once windows is loaded, such as opening a simple program like notepad?
How about clicking on the start button to see the listing? Then; How long will it idle if you only load it by starting windows in regular mode ands let it set? Does that time to shut down remaain consistant or close to it? A corrupt desktop.ini (possibly not a preference setting could cause problems you can't fix by adjusting) Does the laptop have an idle setting time error settting or does it load and idle as long as you do not try to open anything - even simply hitting the start button?

3) laptops have settings for the position of the screen... open or closed - check it. Try putting the top in different positions. Even opening the screen as far as it goes and restarting windows, then nearly closed. Check the lid settings to see if they are ok... all i can thinkk of to do for now.