Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WiFi won't connect automatically at times.

• Please log in to reply

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Thank you.

I wasn't going to give up on it. It still makes me wonder what is so different about this computer. I had a friends HP with Vista here and it connected fine with WPA2 on 54 MBS.

I learned quite a bit in a short amount of time about wifi and routers, RAID, etc. Hopefully I can retain some of it. I am making notes and saving them.

Thanks again for all the assistance.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Do not know if it was the other way round - I could understand it.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I'm at my wits end with this new dv7.......The new Linksys E1200 will not connect every time using WPA2 Personnal and I had to go back to the old Netgear. I tried everything with the Linksys including contacting them and it is useless. Same scenario, won't connect on a restart every time. I give up. All I can hope for is this Netgear doesn't quit on me.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
http://communities.i...om/thread/30932

see the above please and if you go to the Linksy site there is a wealth of info there regarding setting it up and problems

I have to say that the Intel Centrino 2230N appears to cause MANY problems

Edited by Macboatmaster, 21 March 2013 - 04:14 PM.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Thanks for the link. I have about had it for today as far as screwing with the Linksys. Maybe I will feel up to it tomorrow.
The Netgear is connecting still with the "up to 150 mbs" setting.

I think that you are correct in suspecting the 2230N adapter. It seems to be a bit fussy. We can pretty much rule out the drivers. I have tried the last 2 available. I use those same drivers in the other machine and it is fine with a different adapter.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
No I guess I don't use the same drivers in the other machine.

I was thinking about taking the adapter out and re-seating the connectors or even replace it but I am not sure what other adapters, if any, would be compatible with my laptop.

HP wants me to reload the machine and I am not going to do that. I put in the original hard drive with Win 8 that was used less than an hour and updated the drivers and Bios and it still did the same thing so reloading it would be a waste of time I suspect.

The HP service manual I have for my model does not list the Centrino N2230 adapter but lists other 6000 series Centrino adapters. Makes me think the Centrino 2230 must be new to these particular HP notebooks.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Not sure now what has and what has not been tried

I suggest you try this

http://downloadcente...N 2230&lang=eng

I appreciate you would normally obtain the driver from the HP site, but I have seen reports that the lasts from Intel has worked regarding, the connection being required manually

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I bounced back and forth between that driver 15.5.6 (came with the machine)and the newer 15.6.0 and it didn't make any difference. I have the 15.6.0 in there now.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Last week before I figured out how to set the old netgear router to connect, I could hurry up and go to services.msc and toggle the WLAN AutoConfig service and it would connect. However, it always reported that is was running when I got there.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I absolutely detest having to admit defeat, but that is better than taking stabs in the dark so to speak, and hoping that I hit the jackpot.

I have run out of ideas.

Just to recap, before I leave it and advise that you ask HP, after all it is a new laptop

1. Have you tried changing the channel, on the NEW router

2. Have you tried connecting with the INTEL Proset Connection manager

http://www.intel.com...b/CS-025793.htm

or ALTERNATIVELY and perhaps it is the better option ensure that Intel Proset is not managing the connection and that Windows is

Windows 8 WLAN AutoConfig service . This is built-in wireless utility in Windows 8 that allows you to connect your wireless adapter to wireless network without additional 3rd party wireless utility.

SO therefore open the Intel Proset utility and disable, or whatever Intel call it, that , so therefore Windows is managing it

Good luck with it and I am very sorry I could not solve it.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 22 March 2013 - 06:40 PM.

Advertisements

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I will check into the channel and pro set when I feel like tinkering. I get frustrated and quit for a while. HP wants me to reload but I am not going to do that. It really does run well except for that one issue but has been behaving itself today.
I checked and rechecked the services, which ones depend on what, etc, and I don't seem to have anything un-checked that could cause this. Windows error check and SFC report that all is well.
The good news is that the old Netgear will connect every time on that one setting I stumbled across but I do not have that option on this router..it is supposed to be more idiot proof. I guess I proved it wrong LOL

Thanks

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Good luck leave it with you, as I have no other suggestions, apart from the one I just made about what is managing the connection

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 March 2013 - 09:30 AM.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I and am back to the factory 15.5.6 driver and still the same thing. What is interesting to me is like I have said after boot up if I watch the signal icon it will autoconnect after exactly 1 minute. 3 out of 4 times today it connected when I started it.

I could not find anything about what was managing my connection (windows or pro set) other than in programs and features I found the pro set software then proceeded to un-install it..
I have always had the WLAN AutoConfig service running with any driver that was in there so Windows must have been managing things all along ?

It had the new 15.6 driver in there for a week or so until today. The only thing I notice after the Pro-Set un-instal is the driver is rolled back now.
The link you provided didn't work but I searched out Pro Set on the web.

I appreciate the info and assistance, this is just one of those things. Maybe I will luck out and find something in the router software to manipulate and it will fix it like the adjustment I made to the old Netgear. I could go back to that but I am semi-determined to figure out this Linksys. I have downloaded the manuals...etc.

Thanks.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
These Intel wireless adapters , have as I said caused more problems, than any other I have read about.

Although, not usually the problem you have - more so, a failure to connect whatsoever, than merely a delay

In many cases it has been found to be another program that was causing the problem -

I am sorry about the link failure, it did work when I posted it.

It seems, having re-read the documentation that the Intel Pro Set downloads come in two forms - ONE driver only and one with attendant software

I do not know which is offered by HP but here is the latest from Intel

http://downloadcente...t*=

note please the guidance from Intel about the DRIVER only and you select the smaller download eg one of the last two for the driver ONLY.

Even if I could find that documentation again, that was the failed link, it appears that it was only additional settings that were offered with the Intel Proset and not the ability to have that manage the connection.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 March 2013 - 01:24 PM.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I didn't realize that they had driver only version. I had downloaded the whole ProSet PKG for 64 bit instead of the driver only but I just realized that I never looked in program files for the ProSet software to manipulate things, if possible. I never saw any evidence of it in control panel, networking but it must have been in my machine somewhere as large as the file was. I have a copy of it in my downloads folder and I will load it again later and see if I can find the software that allegedly comes with it.

I just did a speed test back to back and the new Linksys is faster on the downloads than the Netgear, but the Netgear doesn't give me any grief.

.......................download.......upload

Netgear..............25.37mbs......4.25mbs
Linksys.E1200.....32.46...........4.25

Edited by woodrow896, 23 March 2013 - 03:16 PM.