Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer running Vista business with no disk

• Please log in to reply

mrbojos

mrbojos

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I am sure that this has been covered somewhere on this forum but it doesn't seem that I am finding what I am looking for. I hastily purchased a used computer yesterday for my daughter at a local computer store. I got it home and hooked it up and I have no complaints. The specs are as follows:

Dell Optiplex 745
Processor: Intel Core 2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz 1.86 GHz
Memory (RAM): 3.00 GB
System type: 32-bit Operating System
Windows Vista Business
Service Pack 2

My purchase did not include backup disk for windows vista. So I feel vulnerable without them because if I need to re install windows I can't. I have heard that some Dell computers have a backup of windows on a part of the hard drive but I don't know if this computer does.

Is there anyway that I can make my own backup disk? or do I need it if it is hidden on my drive?

What would you do to insure that I had everything to re install windows in the event of a system failure.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Get an external hard drive. Create an image backup using software like Macrium Reflect Free or Acronis True Image (not free).

Much better solution that a recovery DVD.

Post a screen capture of an expanded Disk Management window please:

To open Disk Management, press Windows key+r, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter or click GO. Make it full screen.

Vista and Windows 7: How to Use the Snipping Tool in Vista - Vista Forums (says it's for Vista but also works with Win 7/8).

Use the Browse and Attach This File buttons below the text input area while using the Full editor to upload and insert here.

mrbojos

mrbojos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Capture.JPG

There you go. Thanks

Edited by mrbojos, 05 March 2013 - 05:39 PM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Do you have a Vista COA sticker on the machine similar to this one MrBojos?

Posted Image

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If you do not have a Windows Vista installation DVD, you can download a legal copy with SP1 integrated from here:

Download Official Windows Vista RTM with SP1 Setup Files (32-bit and 64-bit).

Only Windows Vista Ultimate with SP1 (X64 or X86) download is available, but if, during the install, you do not enter the product key
when initially prompted for it (which you must have to use the download), then you will be prompted to select the version of Vista you
want to install. You can activate once the install is done.

Windows Vista Home Basic
Windows Vista Home Premium
Windows Vista Business
Windows Vista Ultimate

Downloaded the Vista X64 or X86 files.

X64:
install.wim
boot.wim
X14-63453.exe

X86:
install.wim
boot.wim
X14-63452.exe

Double clicked on X14-63453.exe or X14-63452.exe. It extractes all the files into a Vista sub-folder.

Downloaded Windows Bootable Image Creator zip then extract the files to a folder:

Open the folder and run WBICreator.exe
Click Next
Select OS Type: Windows Vista
CD/DVD Label: VistaX64 or VistaX86
Setup Location: The Vista folder created when you double clicked on X14-63453.exe or X14-63452.exe.
Output Path: Somewhere with enough free space to hold the .iso file that will be created (X64 = 3,837,112KB, X86 = 3,013,816KB).
Click GO.

When done a VistaX64.iso or VistaX86.iso file will be created in the Output Path you chose.

You can use the .iso as input to a burner program like ImgBurn to create a Vista Install DVD, or you can use it as Input to
Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 to create a Vista install flash drive.

I created a X86 flash drive and used it to install a clean copy of Vista Home Basic on my HP DV2200 Laptop. Worked great using the key on the COA sticker of the laptop.

Remember to use the X64 or X86 version of Vista you currently have.

Note: You may need to download drivers for the computer from the manufacturers web site so I would suggest getting the Network (LAN and Wireless) and video/VGA drivers ahead of time so you can install them as soon as you finish installing Vista.

mrbojos

mrbojos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Yes I do!

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Yes I do!

I take this to mean that you do have a COA sticker on the machine which also means that you should also possess the Vista OEM disk also which should have accompanied the machine.

Your Disk Management image quite clearly shows an install other than one done by Dell themselves as there is no Recovery partition.

The vendor that you bought the machine may have done this install and kept the disk for whatever reason but it actually belongs to you.

Revisit the vendor and request the Vista OEM disk that was used in the install.

mrbojos

mrbojos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Just an update. I followed both Wolfeymole and Ztruker's advice. I went back to the vender and requested the recovery disks. They didn't seem happy about it but they forked them over. Then I cloned the hard drive as suggested. I didn't even know you could do that!!! That is a pretty cool trick. Anyway, thanks for the help guys.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
It's good to hear all is now well mate. :thumbsup:

ash004

ash004

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Easy Go Here http://www.touslesdr...= E System 3090

click on (Lancer la détection)

it will detect all drivers of ur machine, and give u Links for download :)

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
If you had actually read this thread Ash you will have seen that MrBojos can get all the drivers he needs from Dell.